Question on fan pulley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question on fan pulley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Can a original fan pulley be rebuilt and or do I need to just buy a pulley from a supplier? What's best and if it's rebuild it what's involved. I took it off, it has loose motion. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Thanks for your opinion in advance. I am still trying to figure these cars out!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I believe they can be re-bushed but I just bought one from Texas T (I think) with the sealed bearing in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

You can buy the bushings and replace them yourself.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3974B.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Tim, if you re-bush your pulley, don't make the tolerances too close. It will need to be well lubricated and watched closely for a while. Set too close and they have a tendency to seize.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Do most people go with new bushings or replace with the modern pulley with a sealed bearing? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

I guess it depends on how you feel about originality. It's very easy to re-bush the original pulley,install a new shaft and felt seal. That's what I did to mine. Just remember to keep oil in the reservoir. If originality isn't an issue then the sealed bearing pulley is probably the way to go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:34 am:

And don't tighten the belt any more than is necessary to spin the fan with no slippage. I require a tighter belt to run an alternator and an air conditioning compressor so I run a sealed bearing fan pulley with a tighter (serpentine) belt. I don't think a brass bushing would last very long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:51 am:

Hal, sounds like half a job, no power steering pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 08:00 am:

Does the pulley have a nice crown in the area where the belt runs? If it has a dip in that area, you best look for another pulley as your belt won't stay on. Many of the original aluminum and early brass hub fans have the crown worn off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:36 am:

It sure would be nice to know the year you are talking about. There is considerable difference in the design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

I will take a picture tonight of the fan pulley. The one on my 26 rpu is worn out. So i bought another one off T bay but its loose as well even though the seller said it was nice and tight. No biggie i just dont want to re bush it and still need a new pulley. Will post tonight. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Tim sent you a pm, Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration