Manifold heater and floor mat

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Manifold heater and floor mat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 10:53 am:

I have an Arvin manifold heater that includes a hot air pipe for the carb intake. A former owner has already installed the "trap door" in the floorboard. My problem is I would like to order a rubber mat for the car but don't want to cut a hole in the mat for the heater. If one did cut the mat , I suppose the right thing to do would be to put the outlet on top of the mat. But, if I do that it would have to be unscrewed every time the floorboards are removed to adjust bands. Decisions, decisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:32 am:

A round piece of steel exhaust flex pipe would make the connection between the heater on the manifold and the outlet on the floor. The flex pipe would/could be a slip fit in to the outlet. Your best bet would to be to cut a larger opening in the mat so it could be removed with out unscrewing anything. A friend has the outlet in the floor/toe board in his Model A PU, it melted his wife's plastic knitting bag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Actually, the heater I have doesn't need the flex connector. The sheetmetal cover that goes over the manifold connects directly to the outlet in the floor. If I cut a hole in the mat I think I will start by punching round holes, probably 1/2",in the corners of the "square" hole so the mat will be less likely to tear at the corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

That sounds like a good plan. You could also glue a fabric reinforcement on the underside.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration