OT - More 2016 London to Brighton Pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - More 2016 London to Brighton Pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Participating in the London to Brighton Run has been on my bucket list for some time now. However, other priorities seemed to get in the way.

This past summer I decided to take the plunge and make it happen. And, I wanted to drive a car that I owned and am familiar with how it operates and performs. With this in mind I connected with friends here in the US as well as in England who are very familiar with the event and knowledgeable regarding the finer points of shipping a car from the US to England and back.

After spending a bit of time learning about the shipping options, along with the pros and cons, I was unable to get comfortable with shipping my car in a container. So, I acquired a used box truck and my son and an acquaintance of his outfit it to haul my 1904 Model A.

I then shipped the box truck with the A in the box on a "RO RO" ship. RO RO is short for roll on roll off. These ships will haul virtually anything that can be rolled, self propelled or not. The shipping company with whom I contracted, indirectly through a broker, has 60 vessels. Some of them can carry 8,000 automobiles. And no, that's not a typo.

The box truck in a addition to providing a cocoon of sorts for my Model A, it also doubled as a tender allowing me to move my car around England in a covered and controlled environment.

Although acquiring and outfitting the truck required some up front effort, in the end the idea worked out quite well.

Unfortunately, I haven't any videography skills so this post will not be as interesting as Rob's. Nevertheless, there may be a few pictures of interest.

I shot some of the pictures. I also with to credit my friends Bernd Burrmann (from Germany) and Mike Spencer (from England) for several of the pictures, as well as SussexSportsPhotography.com.

London to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to BrightonLondon to Brighton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Hummmm......

I had uploaded several more photos, each of which was under 250k, and for reasons unknown to me they were deleted. Maybe in addition to the 250k per photo size limit there may be an aggregate limit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Timothy, that box truck is a neat idea. Where did you get the channels that you used for ramps? Did you have a winch in the truck for loading/unloading?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

You have a beautiful car. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

I've looked at the forms you have to fill out to get the VCC to accept your car for two Brighton runs. It's a formidable document, that seems to be making you prove that just about every part of your car except the tires was built before 1905. And if you want permanent acceptance, it seems even more scrutiny is required. In practice, did you have any real hassle getting admitted with a soup-to-nuts restoration?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Mark:

The track in the truck and the ramps were custom made from sheets of aluminum. They are very purpose specific. Yes, I have a winch installed.

Jim:

Thank you for the compliment. Lucky for me, the cars performs as well as it looks.

Gil:

The degree of difficulty in obtaining a dating certificate from the VCC, or even a temporary passport, is directly proportional to the amount of verifiable information that exists with respect to one's specific car and or the make and model in general. Fortunately, there is a lot of information available regarding 1903 and 1904 Fords. So, those involved in the dating process have good reference materials and simply check the components of the applicant's car to the reference materials. If no such reference material is readily available it can become impossible to obtain a dating certificate. I know of two individuals who each have 1904 french front Oldsmobiles, and the VCC will not date the cars as there is no known historical information that will enable the VCC to distinguish a 1904 Olds from a 1905 Olds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 02:11 am:

Tim,
I love the banner that your car is wearing in the loading photo. Did you show that off in England?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 03:54 am:

I was so pleased when I heard that Rob and family were going! I was glad also when I heard that you (Tim K) were also going, and taking your model A even! I have for many years dreamed of being able to make that Run at least once. I have serious doubts that I will make it there. So, I read the tour reports, and in recent years, check out the on-line information available on the www even before the Runs. I know several people that have gone, and even been able to sit in some of the cars that have made the Run.

So, Timothy K, thank you for sharing with those of us less fortunate. (And I do hope to see a few more pictures of both you and Rob on the "Run"!
Do drive carefully, and ENJOY! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Eric:

I did not have the NLNB banner on my car for the run in London. The picture of the car with the NLNB banner displayed was taken immediately after I returned home from Minnesota. I wasn't loading the A, rather simply testing the fit of the aluminum ramps and track in the truck before bolting the track in place.

Wayne:

I'll share a few more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Tim,

I look forward to them, but no rush. I am sure you are quite busy still.
Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Nice pictures! Great old cars! Looks like good weather.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration