FOR THE EXPERTS. NITS TO PICK

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FOR THE EXPERTS. NITS TO PICK
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

This is a picture of the innards of my 1924 model T. The pistons look surprisingly clean. The engine was rebuilt bout two years ago. They look like aluminum but may be steel.
There is also a small crack in the internal oil line where it was getting hit by the crankshaft cap at ne time. The line was not replaced but the line was bent out of reach of the cap. the crack is still there but as this is not a pressurized line, it is not going to matter much. I dabbed some epoxy on the crack to make sure it is sealed. The camshaft was ground to a "cruising" configuration and looked OK to me. No idea what the green paint is. The engine was painted blue on the outside. I am sure our bank of experts can find more details that I have missed. Your comments are always appreciated because that is how I learn.
engine guts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I believe the green paint marks the alignment of the caps in the event that you were to remove them. You could easily replace them in the right orientation with the green paint matched to the cap and the block. I would probably stamp that orientation in the cap and block rather than the paint. I'm guessing that hot oil over time would remove the paint. The pistons are aluminum. I think the repair you made on the oil line is fine. It is important that the oil gets to the front of the engine. Just an opinion. Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

All looks good, done by someone who knew what he was doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Yes, they are aluminum pistons and are oriented correctly. It looks good to me, except that I don't see a cotter pin in the one wrist pin bolt that is visible in this picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Spring washers on wrist pin bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

At first I thought the same, no cotter pin on the wrist bolt. Then I thought maybe that is the head of the bolt and the nut is on the other side. A good while later, too far later, I figured out it would be hell to tighten the nut and install a cotter pin inside the piston. it must have a grover washer. a self locking nut would not work at high temperatures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Alan, there is no nut on the wrist pin bolt the rod is threaded. I'm not a big fan of lock washers inside an engine. Just my humble opinion. Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Joe that is even better.
Or better still, the connecting rods on the Continental engine my plane has no bolt on the piston end. You just slide the pin through the piston and rod end. The pin has teflon or brass ends and just floats against the cylinder walls.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration