A couple of Questions on Timing, BAT / Gen ......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A couple of Questions on Timing, BAT / Gen ......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Why is it, when running on battery the timing is so much more forgiving than when running on the generator? When I am running on generator I have to keep up with the throttle much more.

It appears I have continuity between the battery terminal and the generator terminal now. Is the generator charging the battery when the key is switched to BAT?

If not, can it be wired to run on BAT and get charged by the generator at the same time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

The generator should be charging the battery if the cut-out or voltage regulator is working correctly any time the engine is running. The ignition switch BATT or MAG just directs voltage from either the 6 volt electrical system as supplied by the battery (with the generator charging or not), or the engine's magneto.

If you can supply a year of your car, someone here should be able to supply you with a wiring diagram. Maybe purchasing the MTFCA Electrical book would be a good investment for you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

First I think you are using the wrong terms you would ether be running on battery or magneto. When you switch from magneto to battery the generator has nothing to do with running the car except keeping the battery charged. The generator is supplying a charge to the battery whether you have the switch in battery or magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Okay....I am showing the newbie to T.

I have a 26 RPU with a distributor.

Do I need to run the car on MAG at all? Is the MAG related to the coil box that I do not have now. Obviously confused!

Why do I need MAG if the generator charges the battery on BAT and runs better in that position?

I have been into old cars for 40 years and never owned anything older than a 49 Chevy truck. This is absolutely the most fun vehicle ever because it is all about learning.

Background:
The Car was not running when I bought it. The son of the original owner showed me the black lever at the key and said I would switch this from BAT to MAG after starting the vehicle. My lights did not work (bad grounds) and I faithfully was moving the lever back and forth before I was enlightened on what that lever was switching. I figured out grounding issues and have low and high lights with the lever now. I feel real dumb on that one!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

If you have a distributor, you should run on batt all the time. The magneto is used for the original 4 coil ignition system.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Norman,
This makes things a lot better for me. This T runs so well and easy on BAT!

This car/truck is the most fun of anything I have ever had!

We have a small event to promote a vendor that supported our car show last weekend. Guess who is taking the back roads in the T instead of taking my 65 Mustang?

Love the 26 TRPU :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Dave:

Just a warning here. If you have a lot of fun you might end up acquiring another T as well. If you do then be sure and park them at opposite ends of the garage or even a different garage from each other. NEVER park them side by side. When you are not looking they kinda get to liking each other and the next thing you know you have 3 then 4 then more of the things. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

John, I can sure attest to that! Started with one, then two, then suddenly five! Now I'm back to only three, and wouldn't you know, ol' Pete the '12 Comm. RPU threw a rear grease seal in protest! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration