Help identifying front suspension and how it is mounted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help identifying front suspension and how it is mounted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Owens on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

I purchased a partially disassembled 1915 T. It has a front suspension I am not familiar with. Anyone know what it is and how the center springs should be hooked. I have them over the motor mount nuts in the picture.

SuspensionSuspension 2Suspension 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

I had a similar set of Lake brand shock absorbers on a front end that I picked up years ago and had the same question - see this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/111798.html?1258884029

When I took them apart, they were completely worn out. They had no bushings - just iron against iron. The non-Ford parts have no provision for lubrication other than just squirting them with oil.

Personally, I'm not a fan of aftermarket shocks. Unless they have been rebuilt, I think they are dangerous. Also, I think they are incredibly ugly and detract from the looks of the car.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on November 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Dave, I love the set on my roadster.They have an arm each side of the Ford spring, so there are 4 coil springs. There is a plate sandwiched between the motor mount and the front frame cross member. The plate has 4 ears at the ends, through which the hooks on the coil springs are fitted. The ears will be close to the point you already have the springs hooked.
As Eric said, they suffer chronic wear due to the shackles running directly in the iron casting. Many are worn beyond easy recovery. I rebuilt mine with bronze bushes and keep them well oiled.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Dave, did you get the hooks sorted out? I have no idea if my set of shocks are mounted correctly but I'll give this for your consideration. :-)
I'm not being a snob but I like the way the hooks are mounted on this frame I got this year, more hook on the engine mount but maybe it's a horse apiece. :-)
When do we see more pics of your '15? :-)

shock mount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

I don't know what brand your shocks are but, it looks like your drag link is bent.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:40 am:

I don't see a need for those accessory springs. If the car were mine, I'd get rid of that stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Dave,

Stephen is correct, your drag link is badly bent and unsafe. Needs to be straightened.

Gotta agree with Larry, (even though it hurts), I'd take that junk off there. Unless you think it's cool to have it... But I find in a lot of cases it just messes up your front end geometry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Dave,

Just want to be clear, I didn't mean to be nasty, calling your accessory shock absorbers "junk".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration