Fan belt joint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fan belt joint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

My fan belt looks ok but it is one that is joined at one point with what looks like staples. What was used originally used through the staples to connect the two halves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

Tom, model T's had a full circle belt without a join. That said, there were many variations on belt joiners over the years, more commonly seen on leather machinery belts. The type with what looked like staples had a wire pin through each set of staples to hold the ends of the belt together. I would think the small diameter of the T pulleys and the higher speed of the belt would be a less than ideal application for that type of joiner.

Others will have different thoughts, and maybe some photos.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

T.C. - This isn't exactly what you asked, but for what it's worth:

We got our first Model T when we lived in Montana back in the '70's, and I had an "experience" with what I thought was going to be a "temporary" belt that I needed when we first got the car.

Needing a fan belt right away, and having no other alternative at the time, I made a "temporary" one out of one of my several excess military cloth web belts from my days in the Marine Corps. I just measured around the pulleys with a string, and then transferred the measurement to the web belt. I had the local shoemaker (when there were still shoemakers around) and had him sew it together, with an overlapping joint about 6 inches long. Installing the belt so that the lapped joint would run OFF of the pulleys, it worked just fine and I figured that it would be okay until I could find out where and from what antique auto parts supplier to order a proper fan belt from. In fact, it worked so well that believe it or not, that belt did just fine for several years, in fact, for long enough that I actually forgot to order a replacement one.

One other detail,....after the shoemaker had sewn the belt together, I took the trouble to rub silicone rubber into the inside surface of the belt before I installed it, which I'm sure, made it much less prone to "slipping". In retrospect, I'm not sure that this was really necessary, however it certainly didn't hurt anything.

For what it's worth,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vic Patterson. Grande Cache, Canada. on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

This is how my 1920 Canadian Touring belt came,I've never seen a belt covered pully / hub before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Hey VIc, good to see another T owner not too far away. Perhaps you can make it to one of our Edmonton Antique Car Club meetings over the next while we meet the first Wednesday of the month every month excepting January. There are over a dozen Ts in the Club and at least two (mine) are driven throughout the winter.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=edmonton%20antique%20car%20club

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration