Old Dave Rides Again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Dave Rides Again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

I'm new to the site but I thought I would test it out....

I have purchased "Old Dave", a 1911 touring from Mark Durst. Mark and I have been working on Old Dave for the last year going through all of the mechanicals and bring it up to speed.

Mark and have had a great time working together and I am learning some good tricks of the trade. The 1911 is up and running and we have just finished a full set of side curtains for late fall and early spring touring.

Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Another 100 Year Birthday

By Richard F. Giles on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 08:56 pm:
Some of you may know Mark Durst. His very nice original 11 T has a birthday today. Ole Dave, as he calls it, was delivered and sold to a dealer somewhere in New York on March 7th, 1911. What a nice car. Original with the exception of top, front seat cushion and tires. Mark is a fifty year member of the Shenandoah Region in Winchester, Va. He was also one of the first fleas to be at Hershey. Car was named after Dave Plank.

By Bob Coiro on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 10:38 pm:
Photos please? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

old dave 1911 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Paul...wow, fantastic car! Wouldn't mind having one myself. That would make a string of 11-12-13 for me! Can you send some current pics of Old Dave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

My apologies, My computer was on the fritz the last few days and I now have it working (I think)

Here is a current photo of Old Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Great car and a great story! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Your post title reminded me of this bit. :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDAK7Umk7A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Old Dave looks pretty good !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Great car and welcome to being a "care taker" or "steward." The unrestored cars are fewer and fewer each year. Sometimes they are lost in a garage fire, sometimes they get to the point they have to be restored, and sometimes an owner decides "this would be an easy restoration" etc.

For those of us with a recently built up speedster, we usually aren't that concerned about trying to preserve a time capsule for those that will follow us. Our cars were often "built" within the last 10 years. But in your case, and others with "time capsule" cars, you have the unique opportunity to continue to preserve a special window into the past.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:49 am:

What a neat car! I'm happy you shared this information with us. I wish I could be there to help you make side curtains! Get all the information on them you can. I was able to get the prints for my '25 roadster from the archives, and had a really good time making them. The problem is many of the original fasteners are not available any more, and you will have to find originals. Check with Mark Cameron on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

I have finished the side curtains and they came out well (I think). I did take it on a light cruise with them on and it went well, nothing blew away :-) I am not sure of one detail.....the flap that keeps air from entering between the wind screen and the top. I am not sure as I have seen several types. One 1916 at Hershey flea market that seemed to have the original top had a stuffed roll that would fill that gap. Any input would be appreciated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration