Old Photo - Oops!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Oops!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Good grief! Another neat pic Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:09 am:

It must have come down pretty soft, the top bow doesn't even look broken! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Another shot that instantly brings "how the bleep did that happen" to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:40 am:

A fight for the parking space in front of the mall on "Black Friday" Christmas sale. I hope she can find her cell phone that slid off the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Looks like they drove up the support wire fore utility pole. People today still try it and it still turns out the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Did the car try to climb up the support cable for the telephone pole? Kinda looks that way. It would explain the lack of damage for an overturned car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

I'd say the big car was at fault. It turned in front of the T and the T driver tried to swerve and went up the guy. Perhaps the pickup to the left in the picture stopped abruptly and the big car quickly turned right to avoid hitting the truck, but the T was coming. Things like this still happen today.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

And it didn't leak a drop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Boyles on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

My paternal grandmother drove a Model T up a utility pole guy wire on her first driving lesson with her older brother back in the '20s. Her reflexes were apparently a bit better than the participates in this photo though. They pushed the Ford off the cable, back onto the ground, and continued her lesson. She turned out to be an excellent driver by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Cool! It looks like they either painted in a light color, or stripped and varnished the wood pillars on the Model T Coupe, just like a lot of restorers do now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

One of my best friends to this day used to like to tell about the time he was driving his model T touring car down a busy two lane road in town. He went to make a left turn, signaled as he should, but had to wait a couple seconds for an on-coming car. Some ***** back behind the touring decided he couldn't wait, suddenly roared around passing several cars illegally through an intersection. My friend (about halfway through his turn and moving as fast as he could) had to swerve to the right to avoid being hit. He bounced up the curb, right wheel caught the anchor line, up the cable he went, then slid back partway down, as all the traffic around him went on their merry way. He sat there a minute, trying to collect himself, and up walks an elderly couple. They proceed to tell him what a wonderful car he has and regale him of tales of their youth and experiences with model Ts in days gone by. The whole time as he sits there with the right front wheel still about two feet off the ground, most of the car on the sidewalk.
Just a normal everyday day.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Actually, it looks as if the little girl might be a bit safer if she backed off a few steps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Wow good pic poor old car... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 01:20 am:

"... Some ***** back behind the touring decided he couldn't wait, suddenly roared around passing several cars illegally through an intersection. My friend (about halfway through his turn and moving as fast as he could) had to swerve to the right to avoid being hit. ... "

======================

Why ? This is where I go out of my way to force the stunt driver
into showing his stuff. We'll sort of the value of life later.

My ex-wife once called me to inform that her very nice 69 Olds
442 was in the bottom of a ravine.

"What ?" I asked.
"I swerved to miss the kitty" was her answer.

She launched this thing off the road and it took a chainsaw, a whole
day, 150' of cable and a neighbor's tractor to pull it back topside.
She had sheared off 6" tree trunks and made a helluva mess of every-
thing in her path, but somehow escaped anything more than scaring
the hell out of herself and the kid.

The whole time I was out there clearing and cutting a path back up
to the road, said "kitty" was eagerly hanging around as if wanting to
help. I like cats. Have 3 now. But I remember thinking that some
times it is better to just let some things happen because the "fix" can
be worse. That guy that put everyone in peril passing as he did most
assuredly went on to try that stunt over and over again until he hurt
someone because no one stopped him with a crash that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 02:37 am:

I do agree with you Burger, to a point. I recall hearing Red Foxx talking about a bunch of PETA people that had made a big deal of trying to avoid hitting animals. He countered that he "wasn't gonna wreck his hundered thousand dollar Rolls Royce over no d*** fifty cent cat!" The outcry from the then PC crowd was deafening. I saw him afterwards on some talk show (I think it was with Johnny Carson) refusing to back down from the statement.

I was just relating a humorous vision of my friend hanging on a wire and the circumstances that had placed him there.

Interesting picture you posted by the way. I have seen more than my fair share of accident scenes (I do use the term loosely, most of them were not true accidents, but the absolute result of statistical probability). A few of them similar to that one. I clearly recall as a child, watching a tow truck picking up the engine from a car, more than a hundred feet from where most of the car sat! I understood then that it was the result of very stupid driving, and decided then and there, that I would never succumb to driving so foolishly.
Do drive carefully my friend! And enjoy. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 06:28 am:

My oldest son is a police officer. About a year ago, he texted me a picture of an accident scene he had worked where a car was sitting on a guy wire for a power pole. Amazingly little damage. I'm sure the car was still drivable once they got it down.

I don't understand the deal nowadays where people don't like calling automobile collisions an accident. Lots of people today seem to think accident means a totally random event outside of anyone's control and say the collision was not an accident because someone was at fault. I agree someone was at fault, but unless it was intentional, I see no problem with the word accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Hal, My feeling is that as long as people are taking reasonable precautions, speeds and watching around and ahead in any sort of sensible manner, it is an accident when something beyond reasonable expectation occurs. ANYONE can miss a sign, signal, or have a momentary distraction or badly timed blind spot that results in an "accident". Even I, finally managed to do that about two years ago. (Minor bumper and fender damage plus a broken headlight.)
However, people that routinely drive in a reckless manner, in blatant disregard for other people's presence, rights, safety, etc, at speeds which they CANNOT handle predictable circumstances, SHOULD NOT be allowed to "excuse themselves" by using the word "accident" in order to dismiss their responsibility. Sadly, it has been a major part of society being taught that everything is someone else's responsibility. Lack of personal responsibility and its sibling, "work ethic", are at the root of most of what is wrong in this world today.

I have not had many accidents myself, but have seen dozens of them. I have have also seen too many that I would not call an accident. When you see the bits and pieces of a car scattered for a hundred feet? You pretty much know which it is.

All that has been my opinion for a very long time.
Drive carefully, my friend! And enjoy. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Wayne,

Sorry. I didn't mean to single you out. Your post reminded me of what has kinda become a pet peeve with me. It just seems like over the past few years, it has become more and more common to hear folks intentionally NOT use the word "Accident" in relation to an automobile collision. I hear it from ordinary people, as well as the new media, and most notably, a regional syndicated radio personality, who goes out of his way to tell you that there is no such thing as an accident because someone is always at fault. I don't disagree with the someone being at fault part, but I it seems their definition of the word "Accident" differs from my lifelong understanding of the word which is "Unintentional". I feel that this relatively new mentality plays right into the hands of the pond scum pursuers of emergency medical vehicles that clog the billboards and airways with their get rich quick advertising. As you pointed out above, any one of us can (and probably has. I know I have) miss a stop sign or traffic light and if the stars are lined up right, it results in an unintentional collision, or dare I say "Accident", and unless you are really lucky, nowadays you WILL get sued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 09:39 am:

In emergency vehicle operation class ( EVOC ) that i teach. They speak of losing control. People dont lose control they give up control when they drive to fast for conditions ,use phone,distractions in general.the statement of they lost control is also used to much.i had one (accident)i was accidentally sitting at a red light and another distracted driver hit me from behind.that is no accident.that is inattension.there afe very few accidents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

I rest my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

The term 'Politically Correct' came about around 1990. The definition of the term is "To soften the facts so as to not offend someone." Are the 'PC Police' doing a bit of over-reach?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:50 am:

Call a spade "a spade". Isn't this too damned obvious ?

My all-time favorite ranting comment from the USMC:

"If I wanted smoke blown up my ass, I'd be back in my hooch
with a short length of hose and pack of Lucky Strikes !"

This was usually followed by a punitive PT session on the other
person's part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

This happened close to my house recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

So the rear quarter on that hanging Saturn couldn't have rusted and the ads I remember touted them as dent-proof. So why the silver quarter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

The silver quarter panel is on there so you can see it and you don't hit your head on the car when he hangs it up to dry after washing it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Tim,
Good question. I have yet to see a dented Saturn body panel. However, I have seen a few 'broken' ones. I'm thinking a bit brittle with age and perhaps just cold enough when hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Tim,

Maybe rust proof and dent proof, but not invincible! Otherwise they'd make tanks and battleships out of the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Who said there was no place to park???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 05:20 am:

Just hanging out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration