Giving our cars pet names

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Giving our cars pet names
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:20 am:

I seen on a few threads that there are some guys that have given pet names for their Model T's. After much consideration I've chosen the name Holey for my Model T. Much like a boat it's just a hole in my garage that I have to pour money into!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:02 am:

It's a long-lived tradition. I have Barney, Margaret, and Dusty. Barney, '25 roadster came out of a barn, so did Dusty (26 Tudor)and she was covered in dust, and Margaret (16 touring) is named after the prior owner. They just seemed like natural names!
My Model A is Ma Green, named after the wife of the original owner (Mr. Green died when I was a year old, so I never knew him, but I did know Ma.
Drive 'em if ya got 'em!
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:03 am:

-Will-
Your location and thread reminded me of the definition of 'Boat' (Bote???) - "A hole in the water surrounded by wood, fiberglass, or aluminum into which one pours money."
Pet names? The coupe is 'Cranky', and the TT is (Toybox) 'Twoo'.
Enjoy your weather... We got our first 'dusting' overnight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Never really into this but I do remember yelling "you SOB" a couple of times. Does that count?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Frederick is our '11, and Hummingbird is the '14.

The current project is, as yet, unnamed. I'm thinking of names.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Charlie,

What a coincidence. I have used the same words on my TT. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:49 am:

-Charlie, Henry-
You've got to speak soothingly so as to not harm their ego. They'll cooperate much more nicely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

Nellie, Harrison, Miz Kitty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

My '15 is Hazel, named after its original owner, Hazeltine Facey (1843-1929).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Not a model T, but when I was in High School my friend Harry and I bought a 1934 Chev. Standard Sedan. It became known as "Clunk" because that was the last word it ever uttered.

We pushed it to the wrecking yard around the corner from where it died, and actually recouped 1/2 of our investment...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

I'm not a namer. I never got why people do that. My wife has tried to name her Mustang and 18 Touring, but it never really stuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Our cars all have pet names. Some have a reason, others are just because.....
1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint....."Daisy"
1955 Ford Zephyr Six....."Purdey"
1921 Model T Tourer....."Anastasia"
1915 Model T Ford Speedster...."Evangeline"
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

1989 F350 - Walter
1979 F150 - Levi
1965 Mustang - The Stang
1923 T - have yet to drive it to see what kind of personality it has. Will name appropriately once I know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

I can't even remember my own name let alone giving one to my cars. I have to get up every morning and look at my drivers license to see who I am and then I read the newspaper to see if I'm in the obituaries and if I'm not then I make some coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Ha Ha. Actually I make the coffee first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

I'm like Charlie. Sometimes a car gets a pet name when I'm working on it. I won't post it here, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Elizabeth. She is old enough not to be called Lizzy.Its a respect thing. She has been called a lot of other things though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Named mine after the man I got it from (Angelo) out of remembrance I guess, otherwise I don't do that much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

My '20 runabout, Denise

Friends '23 touring, Annabelle his '26 Tudor, Miss lizzy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

My dad's first car was an early 1931 Plymouth Roadster and he called it (her) "Bonnie Jean." I have never given a car a name, though. Not sure why, since a lot of people do. Anja and I just always called the the Austin "the Austin" and the T "the T." (Of course, if we were speaking Dutch, we called them "de Austin" and "de T." :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

"The Beast", "Old Dog", and other similar names are interchangeable for mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Over used I guess, but the former owner called her Liz, so Liz or Lizzie she is.

Anyone know how the Model T came to be called the "Tin Lizzie" ?!? Why "Flivver", "Jitney" or "Jalopy" ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

My Grand Dad Louie called his '58 Chevy pickup "The ol' Jitney". He was an enabler. He pulled the neighbors hay-rack down to the Starbuck junkyard so I could get my first old thing, the font half of a 1929 International truck in 1977. I was 13. It's still "The International".
The crappy '24 roadster has always been the T or Lizzhe (it's a boy machine-never complains-just does what it's supposed to). :-)
My son named the '18 roadster Tin Cup. It stuck.
Lucky is the TT (one eye missing, two flat tires and a wrong rad, goes by the name of Lucky...).
The open faced TT pickup found the name of Ted. I was wandering around, looking at my junk one evening... I keep trying to call it Uncle Ted but that sounds too much like Ted Nugent...
Yet the late Center Door project we have is just that. The Center Door.
The grader.
The Twin City.
The dump truck.
The skid loader.
Nothing.
I don't get the naming bit either... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

My 27 is rose bud #2 and my 26 rpu is nameless thus far!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

All of mine must be named BABY. When going up a tough hill, at about lugging-time I find myself saying "Come on, Baby!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Rich, the explanation I read some years ago was that in American slang in the early years of the 20th century, a "lizzie" was a house servant or maid who did whatever had to be done. There were apparently newspaper help wanted ads for a "lizzie," and it was understood to be a person who was versatile and skilled in many areas. Hence the T being dubbed a "tin lizzie."

No idea whether it's true, but it makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

1911 Touring - Carl - Grandpa's middle name

1916 Coupelet - Isabel - Grandma's middle name

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

I don't give names to cars, but this one came with the name and 'nose art'. I'll use the name when I'm discussing the car with locals who know it.

name

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 08:15 am:

I'm not much on naming cars but have sometimes called the ton truck Tuff TT. It'll grab ya. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Claude Johnson, early sales director for Rolls, used to name his demonstrators as if they were yachts and sold motoring to his wealthy customers as if it were yachting on land. Hence The Whisperer, The Wanderer, The Silver Ghost etc

Before the Great War, Ts were often referred to as a Henry Ford, as in the song " In the old back seat of the Henry Ford". When I first got my car I took it to show to an oldtimer who'd worked in his brother's breakers yard in the 30s. When I pulled up he cried out - Now that's the proper Mr Henry Ford!

I'm not one for naming cars, they're just the T, the A, the V8 but I do occasionally say - let's go out in Mr Henry Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:06 am:

I'm with Dennis. I have to wear a wristband with my name and address on it so I remember who I am and where my girlfriend lives ( oh that's rite it's my wife)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:20 am:

27 RPU, SaraJane,.. 46 Plymouth, Betsy .. 65 Corvair, Susie ..72 Comet (Wife's car) Junior,.. 03 Regal (boat) Miss Kitty ..03 Honda 1300 Rascal. Old habit I picked up from Mom who always "made Friends" with her vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:42 am:

When I was in college, a buddy of mine let me store my car in a garage he was renting. We turned it into a kind of Model T breeding ground, as they just kept showing up. He owned three and was working on a fourth for another gentleman, so we had five T's in the same building. Of course every one had a name.

Roxanne, my 1923 roadster pickup
Lucille, a 1926 coupe we were restoring for another gentleman
Betty, a 1926 touring named for the previous owner
Hannah, a 1926 tudor barn find
97, a speedster project named after a Johnny Cash song

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Over the years I have owned eight Ts and except during difficult repairs I have never named them, always referring to them by the year they were manufactured, except for the 15 Speedster.
I built this for my daughter and son in law in 1994 and THEY named it "Ricky". I suspect there is some chassis flex and initially it did rattle quite a bit, but since then it has become quite a contender in the west coast speedster runs having won three events and placed several times, but the name has stuck for over 22 years.
Great fun..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:19 am:

I almost forgot a 95 F250 PSD I call B.O.B (Beast OF Burden)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Henrietta Phord

My 1923 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Sambuca, is my 1917 Canopy Express Delivery because of the black hood and fenders and my favorite candy is licorice (it's either black or it's not licorice).

Seabiscuit, is my '26 coupe because he is a mighty steed.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Sambuca

Seabiscuit, is shy and hiding behind all those girls

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:21 am:

I originally set out to call my '26 Rocinante after Don Quixote's horse (and John Steinbeck's camper truck from "Travels with Charley") but quickly decided it didn't fit. I went with Freida instead after a dear old lady who was my step-grandmother (the mother of my Granny's husband).

My '39 Packard is named Rita after Ms. Hayworth (even though she was a Cadillac lady).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

I have not given my cars names but often call them different names when they act up.
My first car, a Model A, had been named "Flattery" by the previous owner. (....will get you nowhere)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Some neat names might be found in Barbershop Quartet songs like Adeline and Genevieve.

Also, names popular around the turn-of-the-century might work:
Henrietta, Betsy, Agatha, Edna, Bernice, Muriel, Alexandra, Ophelia, Pricilla, Gwendolyn, Felicity, Anabel, Eunice, Gertrude, Wilhelmina, Harriet, Hazel, Esmeralda, I really gotta get a life, Beatrice, Daisy, Constance, Jemima, Zelda, Agnes, Matilda, Winnifred, Amelia, Natasha, Mabel, Shirley, Maude, Scheherazade, Emily, Anastasia.

Or if you'd like to go Biblical:
Bathsheba, Delilah, Jezebel, Rebecca, Salome, Tabitha, Hannah.

And then there are other alternatives:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

For some unknown reason I have stayed away from naming vehicles. Dogs get nicknames, snowmobiles get nicknames, even boats get nicknames (pontoon is the Beer Barge). I just always refer to the Model T's as 'the old car'. However I would be entirely justified in referring to them as "The Money Sponge", as they seem to soak up all my extra cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Kevin,

Exactly what is "extra cash"? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

When all that cash is making a mess of the place, it is good to have
some reliable cleanup tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

I don't have a name for my car, but my wife calls it expensive. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

In my opinion, Model Ts are better investments than the stock market, unless they crash!!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Right now the three T Models in our garage are Frank, Otis and Velma. Leona left a few days ago and that's where Velma came in. My first car, when I was 16, was a '41 Ford named Petunia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Abraxas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:25 am:

We just got our 26 Touring and my 11 year old daughter named the car Rattles. Just got the plates in yesterday. We haven't driven it yet so we don't know if it does rattle but I bet it will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

I have 4 T's and refer to each of them the same way, "Old Thing". No, not original, but that's just me. BTW, my cat is named Cat. See what I mean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I named mine Bessy - Don't know why - but after she was named and after reading this thread I looked it up in the "urban dictionary" - Here is what it says: "The girl's name Bessy is "God's promise; God is my oath". She is also beautiful and sexy. Quiet and incredibly intelligent. She has a great sense of humor but speaks her mind. Some people consider her mean, some just consider her honest. She won't allow anyone to step over her. She will never try to play mind games. She means what she says and says what she means.
Damn, Bessy is one of a kind!"..... All fits - except the mind games - she gives me many of those!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Wife named my T Esther after her great grandmother...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Russell T Phored is sometimes shortened to "Rusty".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

I usually don't "name" my vehicles, but there are two exceptions- My 86' F250 diesel (6.9) is named "Mongo" after the character in Blazing Saddles. It Big, Strong and alas, slow. My last Model T earned the nickname "The Hemorrhoid" as it was the biggest pain in the butt car I ever owned. I never thought that a car could have it in for the owner till I bought this one. It fought back! Any thing you would try to fix became a battle! Many battles, scars, burns and two cracked front teeth later I finally got it on the road. The former owner saw me driving it and wanted to buy it back, needless to say it was a quick sale at a tidy profit and I got to see that dang car go back to the former owner to torment him again. (Insert maniacal laugh here)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

My grandchildren named my T "Bullwinkle" and I don't know why. It stuck.

My tow car, an '04 Expedition, is named "Horse." It was one of the few Ford made with 4-wheel air suspension, and I absolutely love it. 194K miles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Our '15 T we refer to as the "fast tractor". Our 1905 Queen is referred to as the "slow car" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

I have "Old Lizzie", my '26 Fordor, "Mr. Stynoski", my '26 Touring, "The Rattletrap Car" my '13 Touring "That P.O.S" my '62 Lincoln Convertible ...according to my wife!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:39 am:

As I said above, I'm not one for naming cars, but looking back, I could see the need. When we only had two vehicles, they were a car and a truck and were aptly named "the car" and "the truck". Simple enough. Then I got a car, so now we had "my car", "her car" and "the truck". Still pretty simple. Then we got the A. It was simply "the A". Then we got the TT, which for simplicity sake often got shortened to "the T", but sometimes also "the truck". Things started to get a little more complicated. There was no "her truck" to differentiate. You'd say, "What do you want to take to breakfast?" "The truck." "Which one?" "The black truck", which was the TT. Since my F-150 was blue, that seemed to straighten everything out. Then I traded the blue F-150 on a black F-150. Two "black trucks". Somewhere along the line, she got a '67 Mustang. And that was fine until she got a modern Mustang. So now, titles like "Her car", "His truck", and even "Her Mustang" have little meaning. But it gets worse. She got a '18 Touring. So now "the T" doesn't mean anything either, since we often shortened "the TT" to "the T". Throw in his and hers tractors, and you really have a mess. And now she's talking about getting her a motorcycle or getting me a new one and her riding the one we ride now. If that happens, I guess we can distinguish by models. We already have "the Pan" and the newer Soft Tail is just "the bike". I guess "the bike" would become "the Soft Tail" and the new bike would probably become "the bike". Of course, the Pan will always be "the Pan".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Hal: Shorten "the Soft Tail" to "Softy" and you may have something

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:08 am:

On the farm, every rig had a name, but the rig was generally named after the year or model that it was manufactured; however, there were two exceptions: the 1953 Ford 8N was called "Henry" (named after the creator of the company) and the International L110 was called "The Red Peril," because it ran on five cylinders and the brakes did not work. The red Peril usually only drove once a year, dragging the wheat treater from the storage shed to the grain bins and back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration