Installing starter in a 15

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Installing starter in a 15
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:36 am:

What are all the changes you have to make to install
a starter in a stock 1915 engine and trans? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Flywheel with ring gear, hogs head, clutch pedal are the three main pieces, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I've read that it's possible to cut out the space for removing the Bendix in a coil ring that doesn't have one. True?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

I've had to dismount, for rebuilding, the retro-fitted starter in my '15 Touring. _In order to access the starter's upper-outboard mounting bolt, it was necessary to unbolt the car's body, then crowbar the front of the body up and insert wooden blocks between the mating upper and lower front mounting flanges to hold the front of the body about three inches above the frame. _That was enough clearance to access that last stupid bolt on the starter.

It's reasonable, therefore to believe you'll have to lift the front of a touring body as well, if that's what you have.

Another alternative to performing ring-gear surgery on your '15 transmission would be to get a later transmission (I forget whether mine is a '21 or a '24, but I'll find out) and switch out the entire transmission, thereby keeping your rare and valuable '15 tranny intact in storage.

Perhaps these links will shed more light on the subject:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/629145.html?1459453224

You'll need to remove the hood clips to lift the body, so check this link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/535861.html?1429779804

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/534523.html?1429814345

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Looks like a lot of work and effort. Keep the crank start. People are amazing when they see you crank & start the car that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I usually crank start my '24, but it sure is handy having the starter in case I stall the engine at an intersection! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Yes you can grind a spot in the mag coil for starter, also notch the firewall for starter, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Mike, why not just buy a '19 or later T, or swap your '15 for one ??

I don't know where all this desire to "upgrade" will end. Howzabout heated seats and computer controlled fuel injection for my '09 ? (ser. # 889)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Sometimes there's no avoiding it, Rich. -I always wanted a brass car with a crank up front, but after three spine surgeries, an electric starter is something of a necessity. -I do occasionally hand-crank the car for spectators, but there's no way my decrepit ol' bod could tolerate a steady diet of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

I should be kinder, Bob - just not thinking of the guys who can't "twist its tail" but they love their brass - they ain't old, they just been used rough . . . I'm veering closer to that than I'd care to think. I apologize for the inconsiderate remark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Since I'm not getting any younger I put a starter on my 1916 engine. One additional thing to install would be a carburator with provision for an inside choke wire. The choke wire I made from coat hanger wire. Works.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:07 am:

An inexpensive solution may be to always ask a younger person to go for a ride with you and as your getting in the car before them you look over and say, "Oh by the way grab that crank on the front and pull it up before you get in" :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:43 am:

This would be a good time it inspect the condition of the mag coil ring. If it need replacing, just go with the notched type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:09 am:

I have done it once, and it was a '15 touring.
Although it was about 10 years ago I am sure I did NOT lift the body.
I used a later flywheel with starter ring and a later coil ring and hog's head for starter cars.
I moved the fuel tank to the right a little and put a dry cell battery across the left end of the fuel tank.
The owner was afraid he and his wife were getting too old to hand crank the car.
As far as I remember they never took it on a tour after the conversion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:22 am:

It would be a lot easier to just remove the firewall with the coil box all attached as a assembly after removing the steering column. On a '14 and older, leave the steering column attached as well to the firewall.

A few years ago I started reproducing a bolt on front crank conversion using a one wire alternator and a Subaru starter (it turns the right way (backwards from most starters)). Designed around a cog belt drive to replace the front pulley. I guess I should finish it.
I had picked up a original one at Chickasha and was a bit fascinated by it. I talked to some people, but there was little interest then, and I can still crank my '13 just fine!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration