Amp gauge shows discharge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Amp gauge shows discharge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

I am having an issue with the charging system on my Huckster. The unit starts right up but when running it shows a discharge on the amp gauge. When the lights are switched on without the engine running the amp gauge shows charge. I have checked everything for shorts or loose connections and just replaced the cutout on the generator with a fun projects diode version. Is it possible that the amp gauge is faulty? As always any and all help greatly appreciated Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Sounds like it is wired backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Or the battery cables are swapped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Reverse the wires on the amp meter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

It should be negative ground on the battery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Harvey
Call me tomorrow after 10 am EST and I will explain to you two simple tests to see if your Model T charging and discharging circuits are wired correctly.
Ron P 859-881-1677.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Thanks to all who helped. I can't remember doing any re-wiring on the switch or dash, but being old and senile I must have because switching the wires seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again to all. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

If it's a new gauge they sometimes are not good quality. Especially they model A amp gauges. Most of my experience is with the A models but I have had to replace the one one my 27 roadsters already because of the same type of readings.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Harvey:

If you took the battery out and put it back in then you might have reversed the battery which has the same effect as reversing the ammeter except your fun Projects diode thing will not work right with reverse battery and if what you really have is a Fun Projects Voltage Regulator then you will destroy it with reverse battery. Before you go any further - VERIFY that the NEGATIVE (-) terminal of the battery is connected with the braided strap to frame ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Good morning all, John , just checked the battery and it is in correctly. I placed a small order with Lang's last Sunday and among the items was a diode regulator. It has a fun projects sticker so I think I'm safe. It's 21 degrees here this morning so I'm just letting the garage warm up before I get to involved in projects. If the temperature gets to the mid 50s as predicted this afternoon I'll take the beast for a spin. Thanks for the help. Harv stove

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:32 am:

A fire in the stove and sitting with your T's.......a cup of coffee....that's a good winter day.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 08:58 am:

I just baked a pan of cinnamon rolls, and you will find me in the garage this morning enjoying coffee and a roll. I can't think of a better way to spend a cold winter day than tinkering in the garage or just sitting, dreaming about next years car shows. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Harvey, when I was an OTR truck driver, Winnemucca was one of my favorite places to stop at the 76 truck stop on my way to and from the left coast.
Would love to see more photos of your Ts and area.

Happy motoring,

Warren

my 1917 Canopy Express delivery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Guys! Please! We're all doing our part to keep these ol' Fords alive for ourselves, and, for future generations. Let's do what we can to also keep the old (original) automotive terminology alive too. Follow John Regan's example,....it's an "AMMETER", not an "amp gauge" or an "amp meter"! An ammeter is no more an amp meter than a speedometer is a speed meter!

I think how this happened was because of the advent of the volt meter that modern vehicles have had for quite a few years now. So now, folks are differentiating the old ammeter from the modern volt meter by also calling our old ammeters,....amp meters, or amp gauges! But it's looking to me like the old term "ammeter" is going to die. Does it matter? Well, probably not. And then again, our old Model T's,.....if they all finally die, will it matter? Probably not, huh? PROBABLY NOT!!! Not if we can help it,....right? FWIW,.....harold

P.S. Sorry for the "rant", but for some reason, stuff like this kinda' "bugs" me! There are a lot of misused terms that are slipping into our automotive "vocabulary",....like the misuse of terms like tires, rims (including "split rims") and wheels for example. Wheels and rims are two different things,....but not to some people! Again,.....does it really matter? Probably not,.....wife calls me "crotchity ol' man"! And she's probably right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I know! I'm gonna' start a new "term"! No more "volt meters" for me! Not even in my Mazda Miata or my Ford F-150 pickup! It's a "VOLTOMETER"! There! Now I feel better! Or,...???,....is it a "VOLTOMMETER"? Or, a "VOLTAMETER"? Hmmmm,....maybe sorry I started this at all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Voltometer ? Isn't that kinda like Maltomeal ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I have a compression tester I inherited from my Dad, it's made by the Motometer Company, and it's called a "Compreso-meter!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Harold, as a retired grade school teacher, I feel your pain. You're entitled to be put out. My pet peeve at the moment is the substitution of your , when clearly it is supposed to be you're. If you're going to use your, make sure you're correct. Simply, if you're writing what calls for you are, then your is incorrect.

Your other 'crotchity old man' from down under.
Allan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Harold, as a retired grade school teacher, I feel your pain. You're entitled to be put out. My pet peeve at the moment is the substitution of your , when clearly it is supposed to be you're. If you're going to use your, make sure you're correct. Simply, if you're writing what calls for you are, then your is incorrect.

Your other 'crotchity old man' from down under.
Allan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 05:46 am:

Ok, while we're on the subject, why do some people use "are" when they should use "our"? To use it in a sentence...This is are car. I guess I have heard people pronounce it that way, but never knew people spelled it that way until I started getting on forums like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 05:58 am:

Not defending anything but spell check is always putting words in place of what i meant to say. Small heyboard on phones doesn't help
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 06:01 am:

Harvey
Your charging problem probably has nothing to do with wire wheels but mine charges fine with wood wheels. Thanks again. Good luck Harv
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Dallas, I didn't know those wood wheels were such problem solver's. Glad your (you're) putting them to good use and happy with them.
Warren, That's a great looking Canopy express. It's a lot more refined looking than mine. Harv. wheelswheels

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration