Ford script/ champion spark plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford script/ champion spark plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Has anyone seen one of these?
If so, what can you tell me about them?
I'll try to post a pic.'thanks ... Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Common, factory supplied plug for the Ford in the twenties, made by Champion for Ford, sold by Ford to Ford dealers for replacement sales outside the common Champion X plug sales to non-Ford part dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Thanks!
I pulled one out of 1921 engine yesterday .
I have a friend who is 84 years old, and has been tinkering with the model T and model A for all his life.
He said it was a first for him !
I'll show him the picture you posted and your response.
Thank you again for the information.... Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 01:01 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 07:18 am:

I run those expensive plugs in both my Ts. I've tried many so called replacements and both cars didn't like them. Even the plugs under my seats and the same and I've yet had to use the spares. I pull them out of the motor every now and then and clean them. My 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Ford was still using straight sided Champion X plugs through 1921. Champion X plugs with brass tops and ribbed sides might have started to appear in cars produced at Ford as early as 1922 or 1923.

The ones with Ford script came along in the late 1920's and were sold over the counter at Ford dealers through the 1950's, perhaps longer if an older dealer still had stock. They are not particularly rare among old original plugs. NOS ones sell for $20 - $25 each, but good used ones sell on eBay for $1 - $5 when I am the buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Between the straight-sided X and the brass hat X there was a version of the older type but with ribs.
Photos here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG95.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:06 am:

So far as I have been able to determine Steve this style of Champion X short plug was never installed at the factory by Ford. These seem to appear at about the same time that Ford went to the brass top Champion X long plugs for production. They replaced the earlier smooth side Champion X short plugs that Ford used from 1912 - 1921, and the inserts will fit the earlier plugs. I've found lots of the replacement inserts of this type / style in the 1920's red Champion boxes.

The long style X plugs get the electrode further down in the combustion chamber, which might have been one of the things that Ford did to try and help combat the fouling problem that seems to have been caused by poor quality gasoline in the 1920's. Refiners were not keeping pace with Ford's production of cars; leading to things like the Vaporizer carburetors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration