I should have bid higher

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I should have bid higher
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

I didn't bid high enough to day on the coupe and did not get it. I use tried as high as I thought at the time that I should have.

auction coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

How is your recent center-door sedan restoration coming along? (The one that didn't quite survive a fire?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Wayne, I am gathering as much hard wood as I can get to start on the new center door. I have been working very long hours putting stuff away from the Semi Load a couple of weeks ago. I also tore the motor apart on my 16 and need to get it back together as that is my favorite T. I am kind of glad I didn't get the coupe at the auction today as that would have been another job. I have been working too many hours and might say to heck with it and head to Mountains this next Friday. The weather is supposed to be good and maybe I will get to go up the lower part of Trail Ridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

What did the coupe look like BEFORE the explosion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:12 am:

You should have seen the cars that were at that auction that needed a lot of work! This just needs a little TLC. :-)

What year was the Coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:14 am:

With all due respect Dave, I think your bid on that one was just about right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Were they selling the kickstand with the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:26 am:

High enough? Wow, count your blessings!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Dennis Seth: The motor was a very late 22. It still had the square gas tank. Running board brackets were the pressed steel, Firewall brackets were the later style. 30 X 3 1/2 wheels. The rims looked super with 100% zinc until you scrapped the mud off where it had sat in the dirt for how many years. Both windshield frames looked real good and so did the hinges. Steering post looked real good with the horn button on the side. No ruckstell or I could have gone a lot higher. The starter and generator was in place. The cowl was perfect. The guy that out bid me was asking all kinds of questions That showed he knew absolutely zero about Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I like '22 Coupes here is mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Now That I think about it I wonder since the guy knew absolutely mothering about Ts, maybe he was an iron monger. I have bid against iron mongers before on cars and often lose. Perhaps one more T to the melting pot. A lot of usable parts that will no longer see the light of day.

Picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

As scrap, it is probably not worth more than $50.00 right now. (last load I took in of #2 prepared scrap netted $80.00/ton. "shred" grade would be even less)

I would say you were up against someone who had absolutely no clue and was therefore convinced that since it was old it was very rare and very valuable See those types at auctions all the time. You can never outbid such a "true believer". (well, I suppose you can, but a reasonable price for the item in question will be exceeded long before their enthusiasm runs out)

Jason Midyette

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Thanks to Dave and others posting on this, I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Dave
Keep in touch with the buyer. Sometimes these guys realize they are way over their heads and want to re-sell at any cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Steven Miller, You may be right. I afraid I did not get the guys name but I did give him my business card and told him I would like to buy any of the parts that he did not want. One thing that interested me was the four rims looked mint until you looked at where they had sat for so many years in the dirt. I find that most any rim that still has the tires on them are junk, especially if they sit in dirt very long. One good thing about the day was several farmers came up to me and said they had a lot of T parts and gave me their address. I find some real good parts that way,
picture

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration