American Brass Products, Hartford CT windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: American Brass Products, Hartford CT windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Has anyone ever heard of the "Hercules" Windshield made by the American Brass Products company in Hartford CT? It looks just like a Rands but it's not. Any input on this would be great. Did Ford dealers sometimes install their own accessories from local manufactures? This is in terms of 1911-1912 time period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

It would not be original nor would it have been installed by a Ford dealer in 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Royce, thanks for your reply. I think if you saw this windshield you might second guess yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Also, remember these cars could have been ordered "unequipped" meaning without a top and without a windshield in 1911. 1912 was the first year that ford no longer sold cars "unequipped".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Alex,

Ford stopped selling unequipped cars after the 1910 model year. Officially the unequipped cars were not to be offered after 1909, but Ford records show orders were filled for 1910 T's without windshield or headlamps. I've personally looked through perhaps 30% of the Accounts Receivables records at Benson Ford. I can tell you with some authority there are no unequipped 1911 or 1912 T's in any of the sales records.

Today you can go into any convenience store, drug store, or a thousand other types of store and by accessories for your Apple I-Phone. None of those accessories are made or endorsed by Apple. None are installed by Apple at its factory in China or Pakistan or India. Yet the industries thrive.

In the first part of the last century the same was true for Model T parts and accessories. Tens of thousands of manufacturers were making every imaginable replacement part or accessory to be sold in livery stables, hardware stores, and by mail order. If your replacement "Hercules" windshield fits a Model T, it is likely to have been well designed to do exactly that. It was not anything offered by a Ford dealer or installed by Ford or endorsed by Ford.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration