Winterizing the T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Winterizing the T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I searched and found a couple threads on this but opinions were all over the board. I live in Ohio and it gets it's pretty cold. Garage is newly built but detached...no mice!. So some specific questions on the following:

Fuel: drain or fill er up?
Coils: take um inside? So they don't get condensation?
Cylinders: ??? Keep plugs in?
Oil: change now or in the spring?
Battery: it's on a trickle but should I bring it in?
My radiator has a new 50/50 mix....anything else I'm missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Why park it? I would think that Columbus, Ohio weather is pretty similar to St. Louis, MO.

I drive my T year round, as long as the roads are clear of salt. I have a '24 cut-off touring (now a pickup) with a good top and side curtains.

I insulated the walls, ceiling, and doors of my garage and installed a 220V electric heater. The heater is set to maintain the garage at 55-60 degrees F unless I'm in there working, in which case I can turn it up and get it nice and toasty:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

FUEL, if non ethanol leave it in, add sea-foam or stabil additive
COILS, if garage does not sweat in the cold leave them in
CYLINDERS, leave plugs alone
OIL, change when hot, or next spring
BATTERY, leave in car, cycle charger every few weeks, more off than on
JACK UP CAR PUT ON CHEAP JACK STANDS,take weight off tires
? OPEN OR CLOSED CAR, if a closed car go to a walmart on hardware and purchase a "DAMP RID" moisture absorber tub put inside car
PRAY FOR SPRING !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Hi Allen,

You are already half way prepared for winter with your 50/50 coolant. Just change your oil to 5W/30 instead of the 10W/30 and keep your Weeds handy. The Model T is a four season car and winter motoring is a Hoot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

I would not leave any kind of charger hooked up, fused or otherwise, unhook battery, less gas in the tank the better, could spring a leak and have a big problem. Most trickle chargers are cheap Chinese made, do not trust. A new battery is cheaper than a new garage and new car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

May I suggest rodent protection ? Mice are everywhere. They like to find a cozy spot in your garage. I put the coils and battery in my basement where hey will winter well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Allen,

The best thing you could do for your T prior to storage (or year round for that matter) is to fill the tank with pure gasoline without ethanol added. You can find stations that sell pure gas on http://www.pure-gas.org.

Winter can last a good 5 months in our area and that's more than enough time for the ethanol to wreak havoc.

Make sure you have anti-freeze suitable for your temperature, and you'll be good to go until Spring.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

All the advice is pretty sound. I fill my tank with non-oxygenated fuel and some Marine Stabil. My antifreeze if adjusted down to -47 (as I've seen -44 around here). Car is up on jacks with tire pressure reduced to 10 psi. I always change oil and put in fresh at the end of the season.

My only reservation is winter driving. Around here they slop so much salt on the roads they are always white even when there's no snow on them. I'll leave mine in the safety of he garage and resurrect it in spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Dan, regarding your note above. I'm about to take delivery of my first T and wondering should I run it with pure gas as a matter of course? I live in Southern California. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

I make my anti freeze good to -30 and change the oil, as fuel stabilizer, disconnect the battery and put the tender on them and normally no issues at all. With the model A s or Ts. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Drain the tank and the carb. If you have no fuel/tank problems now you won't later. Plus if it stays in mothballs longer than expected that additive junk isn't going to help you a bit because it doesn't do a thing except drain your wallet. The mix is good. Maybe get it off the tires & on stands and that rodent protection mentioned is a great idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Forgot: plugs: leave them in. No need to drain/change the oil. It's not going to be running anyway. If you're due the spring is a nicer time for that. The coils? You know I'm really not sure what's best. Bringing them in sure isn't going to hurt them. Keep in mind that they don't know when they were shut off. 6 mos. 6 years or 60 years don't matter at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Jerry, I've read all sorts of horror stories about ethanol, but I run my T's on the cheapest grade normally available here (10%) with no ill effects so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Jerry. I have lived here in So. Cal. my whole life , now in Lancaster , and I always use pump gas. Granted the gas we get now doesn't last long but I drive my car year round so it doesn't matter. Even so the jets in our Ts are so large they will not plug up easily. Last winter I left the same gas in my car for almost two months without a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Jerry,

Absolutely. There are virtually no upsides to gasoline with ethanol added and the downsides are well documented and too numerous to count.

As a rule, you will enjoy more power, better stability (fuel quality), and less deterioration of your fuel system components.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I'll add that despite stories of this terrible new gas going bad in a couple of months, this week when I used my truck that was last filled on June 9, it started on the first press of the starter pedal and ran perfectly normally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Its been my experience that the ethynol destroyes aluminum. I replaced two carbs on small engines in the last year. I havent found any aluminum parts in the fuel system on mt t's but I still run 100% gasoline in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Pot metal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration