Repairing a font

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Repairing a font
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Have been working on my lamps. How does one repair the dents in a font? It doesn't look too easy to take apart because of the way the top clamps around the bottom. My sidelight fonts are ok, no dents but maybe a hairline crack or 2. I thought about sloshing some gas tank sealer in them. Taillamp font is solid brass (Brown 115). The sidelight fonts are brass and steel. Did the taillamp switch to brass and steel later? I got the lamps from different places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

I have peeled back the edge that is crimped over the steel bottom of the fonts for a JB like you have shown. It's a lot of work but do-able. I'd anneal the edge before peeling it back. It appears there are some cracks in the brass. Silver brazing could be used on the cracks...from the inside once you have it off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration