I'm sure it's been done and posted before.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I'm sure it's been done and posted before.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Hi everyone, so here is the situation. I have a situation on my hands and I just need to know am I barking up the wrong tree. So as being in the military I have a tight budget, I pick up a deal when and where I can. I have a 24 speedster I have had for two years and it has up to recent weeks had wooden wheels. They were in desperate need of a rebuild, so for now I decided on 26-27 wire wheels, I also have the hubs adapters and rear drums for a 26-27. I also have a set of 26-27 Rocky Mountain brakes. I got front hubs and wheels on with no problems. The rear well that is where I need the help. Can these Rocky Mountains, and Drums be fitted onto the small drum rearend?? Is there any tips cause so far clearance and fitment has been unsuccessful. I just want to know can it be done, if so please share some tips. If not just tell me so I don't lose anymore time. I can't afford to go buy the small drum Rocky Mountain kit. However I might be interested in a trade for my large drum kit if someone has one. Thank you in advance. Again I'm learning still so be gentle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:19 am:

You need a bid drum (26/27) rear end. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:52 am:

It could be possible. Use the wire wheel drums and drill the holes in the small drums to fit them to the hubs by some means (Lots of small machine screws?) As for the rocky brakes, You'd probably have to make a different bracket to fit them to the small drum axle. Probably not very difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Unless you have the holes drilled professionly, into the drums, you run a risk of mounting the drums off center. And you will not be able to use the parking brake shoes which you need if you start to roll backward.

I have a large drum rear axle assembly. The axle shafts are no good because of bad keyways where the hubs fit, but you can use your axle shafts in it or cut keyways in the opposite side of the axle shafts. Let me know if you want it. We can swap mine for yours. I can keep the bad axle shafts which are no good anyway and you can use yours if they are good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Eric & Norm, Eric did you rebuild your rear axle? If not it's a good time to inspect it and put bronze thrust washers in. If you have then this will be simple if Norm agrees with this. Simply take your internals out take the housings & your internals to Norm while there take Norms axle apart remove the internals and place yours in his his housings Then do the same with Norm's internal to your old housings. Everyone's happy and another T is on the road again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

John T. Tannehill I did rebuild my rear axle, so all of that is good just trying to find the easiest way to go. Thanks Norm I'll get in touch with you probably after work.

Thanks a lot Gent's

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration