Look what was inside the engine !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Look what was inside the engine !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I posted this in the body of the thread on my "new" 23 T arriving on Saturday, but it may have gone unnoticed. It's good enough to post again as a new thread. Here is what I found when I pulled the head! Now there's your problem! Would like to see other pictures of what others have discovered.

kibble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Is that a spark plug nut by that valve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Too much grain in the fuel is my guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Yup ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

At least you had something to snack on when you were working on the engine :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Either the top hose was off or the cap was off the radiator. Some little critter stored up food there. I hope the radiator is not also full of that stuff. Much easier to get it out of the water jacket than the radiator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Yes, seen that before ! Here's a fresh (at one time) rebuild that sat for several years before the fella decided to do something with it before he died !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

I have found the small debris and urine method of engine
preservation to be superior to all others in returning fine
machinery to an organic state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

I've seen it before, but not quite as colorful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I'm working on a 1925 Case Cross Motor right now. The radiator tanks and water jacket in the block are full of mouse nest material and grain. Luckily the radiator top and bottom are bolt on. I'll have to pull the cylinder liners to clean the water jacket. I have a new shop cat now. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Steve,

That was a fully packed mouse apartment. And you found the mouse too? Looks like it had drawn the oil off the metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Steve. OK, "you win" I have seen all kinds of things in my years of messing with old cars, but that is the fullest engine I have ever seen ... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Pressure washed engine and for dis-assembly.

Removing the valve cover discovered the chamber was being used as a mouse's silo.

korn kernels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

All I found in mine was brand new pistons and valves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:07 am:

What is that coloured stuff in the first pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Looks like fruit loops or lucky charms! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Mark I think it looks more like "Milk Bone"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

"Looks like fruit loops or lucky charms! :-O"

See, even the mice won't eat that crap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Ironically, I think it's dry cat food. Looks like Meow Mix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Speaking of cat food - one of my mom's cats used to love cheese. One day at supper, we were dropping bits of cheese on the floor for the cat, but it wouldn't touch it. We asked our mom about it, and she said that she had bought a pack of artificial "cheese food" instead of real cheese because it was supposed to be healthier. Looking at the ingredients, it appeared to be made from a bunch of different petroleum distillates!

The cat knew better... no more "cheese food" from then on! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

A mud-daubing wasp's nest in T imported to UK from Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

So far no model T engines i have had any deposits made by critters but have had a couple of old A motors with mouse houses in them...I Have not had model Ts long enough yet, i assume. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:01 am:

Barney came with mud dauber nests in the intake manifold and valve galley.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration