1911 Torpedo Roadster Pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 Torpedo Roadster Pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Barr on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Here are a few detail pictures of a fairly original 1911 Torpedo Roadster. Wrong color, wrong carb, airmore accessory, accessory toolbox, accessory water pump, spring tensioner on fan belt is from older engine, top strap bracket on radiator instead of frame, and there are probably more nits.

However, it is a documented Torpedo Roadster and the body numbers on the bottom of the doors match what is on the factory documents from Dearborn. Not sure I can get all of the pictures loaded, but will try.front of driveshaftfirewall detail (No side cover fittings)Windshield bracketsbody number on door bottomInteriorRear viewtaillightrear endcarbide generatorHorn and side lightfront wheelengine - right sideradiator - note serial number plateengine - left sidewater pump front - note spring tensionerfront of headlightleft front axel - no speedometerfront - note stiffener in radiatortop bow bracketengine serial numberfloor boards - brake and pedal plates should be blacksteering wheel - not in starting positiondoor sill plateheadlight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Barr on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

I said Torpedo Roadster, but Ford called it a Torpedo Runabout which is the version with doors while the Open Runabout is the same body style, but no doors. This one was built on 4/11/11 after the Valentine's Day massacre (actually February 21) when Ford changed a lot of brass plated items to black. Came with Holly carb, Heinz coil box, Drummond tires, and was Blue. Body by Pontiac. Sold to P. M. Leo in Cincinnati, OH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

The lamps are all reproduction items. Those headlamps were made in the 1960's - 1970's, they are similar to the 1909 E&J 466 lamps. A 1911 would have used E&J 666 headlamps which are much smaller.

The wheel hubs look odd, as if they were cut down in diameter? A 1911 should have 6" hubs. The 6" diameter hubs were introduced midway through the 1910 model year, about June 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Has anyone ever seen a title that says Openrunabout?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

John, is this the one that came out of the Towe museum auction about 20 years ago? It looks like it. If it is, I did a little work on it with Lewis Rector at Towe's shop in Helena. Lewis was not all that happy with the car as it was missing some original things but Ed bought it somewhere back east and it filled in their museum display where 99.9 % of the visitors knew nothing about whether anything was correct or not.

I helped Lewis get it running as I could still crank in those days, we drove it out of the shop and into the trailer to go to Deer Lodge and I think that is all he ever had it running. 40 years and more ago now. My memory fades on all the things Lewis and I worked on back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

John,

What factory info do you have on the torpedo body numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

The car doesn't appear to have a starter retrofitted, what is the second button on the floor next to the cutout button for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Thanks John for sharing the pictures. I always enjoy Torpedo pictures and still have a keen interest in them. One picture that really stands out to me is the one showing the body section around the back of the seat. The picture shows a vertical bead on the sheet metal just below the last top fastener. None of my pictures in my records show that vertical swage/bead on the back of the seat? Was there 2 different manufacturers of Torpedo bodies and this particular one was made differently to every other one I have seen? Just curious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Mark, the other button could be for a Bermuda bell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Trent Boggess had a web page that showed his Torpedo Roadster.
If I remember right, he said that there were two body manufacturers.
I wish I could find that page.
I think Hap Tucker might have a link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/690965.html?1478444184

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Yea I think there were two manufacturers of torpedo bodies. I have never read any consistent information about the numbers under the doors. My father had a very original 11 torpedo years ago and it had no numbers under the doors. I think the bodies built by beaudette were the only ones with a number under the doors, and that might not have been consistent either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:14 am:

I am looking for some pictures of the odd Torpedo horn . There were some good pictures on this thread but now they are gone . I would have keep them ,but at the time I did not need them . A course now I do .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:35 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249961.html?1322697206

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

You might have this tread confused with another.
Try this one:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/693822.html?1479605040

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration