1924 Model T questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1924 Model T questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Campbell on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Hello,
I just brought my great great grandfather's Model T up from Ohio to my garage so I can work on it and start cleaning her up. I have read over the forums about serial numbers but I am a little confused with my situation.

First, I have a serial number on my radiator which I didn't think they did that in 1924. My engine block has a Oct 1925 serial number starting with 1253xxxx. As far as we knew, the engine was never swapped (no one in my family remembers doing it going back to when it was bought)
Would they have titled it wrong as a 1924 I wonder? Anyone ever had that happened with a wrong date on a title? Or some situation I haven't thought of yet.

Last, all my head bolts came undone, which surprised me. It sat since 1972 in my grandfather's garage then 10 years in a local storage facility. I saw other people asked this question about the cylinder head being stuck, but I don't feel comfortable pulling it out by the spark plug threads. It is so tight I cannot get anything between the engine block and the head.
I tried smacking it, lovingly, with a rubber mallet and with a piece of 2x4 and hammer but nothing is giving.

Would penetrating grease work by powering it down the cylinder wells and the head bolt holes?

Thank you everyone for such a wonderful forum, I've been reading this for some years now getting ready to recover my T and for (now soon to be)restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Did you try cranking it over with the spark plugs in place? Sometimes the compression is enough to lift the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

You're correct about the serial number. October 20 or 21, 1925. That's well within the 1926 model year. It's very common for these cars to be registered under the wrong year. Often it's due to confusion between model year and calendar year, but many times it's just because people misremember what they were told. When you're able to post pictures of the car we'll be able to tell you what it is, as there are a lot of very distinct differences between 24-25 and 26-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

My engine # is 10,573,451 which I'm told on this forum is Oct, 1924.

I also know that there's a thread from the last couple months that has a lot of discussion about releasing a "stuck head". I'm not sure what search to use and can only add that it's definitely within the last 2-3 months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

I did a search, and here's the thread about head removal. If the link doesn't work for some reason, the most recent post was on Tues, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/683096.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Your engine probably has the boss on the back for the two transmission cover bolts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration