Exhaust manifold straightening

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Exhaust manifold straightening
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Looking to see if anyone knows of somebody who has a jig that knows how to straighten some manifolds. I have several Ford script ones that could use some minor attention Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

There are many threads about this. My favorite method involves a not useable block,some steel plugs in the ports that extend into the manifold. Clamp down tight. Put in good size brushpile. Set afire. Let cool down slow. You'll have to finagle a little with the 'locator'plugs to get them in a humpback manifold. Worked for me. No new manifolds were available then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

I think that is the way my cousin describe straightening my Kingston manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Look on the Tulsa Model T club website, I believe they have a tutorial on the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:38 am:

Best way I found is make four
discs that fit a junk block nicely in the exhaust ports tack weld a one half inch pipe across the discs end to end in the block with about a foot hanging over each end for a handle that does not heat up to much. Turn it over to check a manifold for an exact fit without a tape or a straight edge

using a set up like Tulsa T does and a rose bud heating one area at a time with some thought before heating because some ports are spread and some not the discs tell you exactly where to heat using the pipe jig several times lifting off and on without burning your fingers. They have memory so let it cool and check again a small correction might be needed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:44 am:

ill I think I saw something from Stever Jelf in Ks. He is a member of MTFCA, and with out his permission I cant give you his PHONE #.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Bill,

You posted the same question in 2015 and got plenty of good answers back then. See here:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/595903.html

I have an exhaust manifold straightening jig that my dad made. It works great, but you can do a fine job using a Model T block as Dad demonstrates here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/342833.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:50 am:

I straightened mine using the method on the Tulsa website. I made a jig similar to what they used and it worked OK.
The downside is the cost involved using Oxy-Acetelyne. By the time you use up the gas and time spent making a jig you can just about buy a new one. They are a pretty good reproduction part.
The next time I need one I'll buy one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

I am interested in finding Model T or Model A people in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas as I spend the winter there and would enjoy visiting with them. Thank you.

Bill Kerndt, kerndtengineering@gmail.com

Cell 563-380-6230

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Bill, take a run over here to Orange County and Long Beach and you can find plenty of T guys to talk to.
Better yet, Come over to see the Holiday Motor Excursion this year right after Christmas on Saturday 12/31 and will be gathering at the Santa Anita racetrack. you won't be disappointed if you like old cars and bikes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Thanks Gene! I am certain I would have a good time in that part of the world. I have been to CA a number of times and I was stationed at Port Hueneme when I was in the service.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration