Ford sales window sticker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford sales window sticker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Rocha on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Can anyone tell me when Ford first used dealer window stickers that itemized features and price?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 12:44 am:

This article describes when window stickers became mandatory. I'm not sure if any manufacturer did it voluntarily prior to the legislation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroney_sticker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:09 am:

I read through the Monroney wiki link, but it did not give a first year of mandatory
application. The answer is 1959. How/why do I know this ? I have two 1958 cars
and the subject has been researched ! In fact, there is quite a story behind why
Monroney and friends pushed this law. Car dealerships had worked up quite a pricing
scam, inflating prices at a middle level through "dealer associations" that kept factory
pricing from the visibility of buyers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 08:42 am:

Burger,

I agree, the link was light on specific dates, but clicking the link embedded in the article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_Information_Disclosure_Act_of_1958

States it took effect January of 1959.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Thanks Gary. Yeah, ... part of my beef with 50's car people (besides
their inherent desire to pretend all life occurred at the drive-in and everyone
was 16 years old) is to put window stickers in their cars. The discovery
of some dealer association literature when buying out a dealer's "obsolete"
parts inventory led me to question just how car pricing was done at the
time, and this led to my discovery of the Monroney legislation. If you
think car dealers like play stupid games when selling a car now, it must
have been a REAL "dance" before 1959 !

ANY pre-1959 model year car being shown with a window sticker of itemized
equipment and pricing is bogus. They simply did not exist prior to this
Monroney bill.

And now you know, ... the rest of the story !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:08 am:

Like Burger said- if it wasn't priced with white shoe polish it was BOGUS!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Rocha on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Thanks for the info and the links I still have the window sticker from my 63 Galaxie R code and was wondering when it became standard practice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration