Spoke Wheel - Metal Felloe assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spoke Wheel - Metal Felloe assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny S. on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

I have seen pictures of assembling spoke wheels
with the spokes and felloe painted and finished,
and of wheels being asssembled without finish.

What is the best way to do it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Personally, I prefer to paint after assembly. The thought being, the paint will seep into all the joints and seems and seal up the whole assembly. However, the steel parts should be primed first, in case moisture does creep in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:59 am:

I prime the metal and prime all spoke wood then assemble and paint assembled wheel. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:11 am:

I painted before assembly, and that worked fine. My Stutzman wheels are assembled, of course, so they'll be painted that way. Either way is fine, but I think post-assembly has the edge for the reason Jerry stated. But I would certainly do any spoke sanding before putting them together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny S. on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

thank you all for the info

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration