Aluminum intake manifold reproduction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Aluminum intake manifold reproduction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Does anyone think the aluminum intake manifolds that are reproduction are worth the $100.00 or does it ad any extra power. I want to replace the intake manifold on my 27 but really wanted the advise from you guys on should i or should i not spend the extra money on the aluminum intake. If not i was just going to powder coat the factory manifold. It is for my car in my profile pic.Thanks in advance for your opinion!!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

I think it helps with a carbie up grade as well, I run one with an straight thru NH that is reamed an extra 1/8", pulls the fuel economy back a bit but worth it for what power I gained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

An NH straight thru gets the worst mileage but that is a whole other debate. I run the big intakes on numerous cars with good results but the bigger gain is upgrading the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

The larger intake and split exhaust manifolds did more for improved performance than the "high compression aluminum head" did for my 27 "ole black."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

An engine is nothing more than a pump...the more you can put in and then push out is what makes it more powerful. Frank, Jeff and Jerry have all confirmed this.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

The high flow manifold needs a high flow carb. to be effective, NH straight thru or similar. IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Thanks I appreciate the ideas I think I will buy it and when I get chance to come up with a better set up on the carb I could just swap carbs. It sound like the intake is worth doing while I have it apart to clean the engine and paint it. Should the intake be powder coated black or leave it aluminium? Any reason not to why it shouldn't be powder coated? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Thanks I appreciate the ideas I think I will buy it and when I get chance to come up with a better set up on the carb I could just swap carbs. It sound like the intake is worth doing while I have it apart to clean the engine and paint it. Should the intake be powder coated black or leave it aluminium? Any reason not to why it shouldn't be powder coated? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Tim, before you decide what to do as far as finish, pre-fit the manifold to the engine. I had to massage some material off the top of the runners to get proper clearance between it and the exhaust manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Thanks John. Some else told me that to. Did you just have to grind it with a di grinder?? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

I did it with just a plain ole NH. Zoom zoom.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Tim, i did mine with a dremel. You don't have to take off much to achieve a good fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:41 am:

The originals FIT, are plentiful and cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I prefer an original, because the bosses for the manifold clamps are clean and crisp. The reproduction ones I've seen they appear to be ground off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:08 am:

I won one as a door prize at one of our events. It is on my 26 Touring and seems to work very well. Most noticeable is rapid acceleration in low gear. I also have a 280 cam in that engine. The only problem I had and was not hard to overcome was installing the carburetor. The manifold is a little larger and the box wrench doesn't fit. I use a universal joint socket so that I can work around the generator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:21 am:

The low end pickup was worse with my full flow professionally rebuilt NH carb and the full flow aluminum manifold, but I had a stock camshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Bench flow tests indicate that the high volume intake manifold ads two horsepower to your engine with a stock Holly NH carburettor. The dual exhaust ads three horsepower. Total of 5 horsepower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

The thing to note is; the reproduction aluminum manifold has a larger inside volume then the original aluminum which has a larger volume then the later cast iron ones. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Polish and clear coat! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration