Brass Radiator Support

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass Radiator Support
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale McMurry on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

When did Ford start putting the steel horizontal support on the early radiators? Who made reproduction Brass radiators in mid 1960's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Brassworks was made early on,by a very nice guy .The business has sold to what we have today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

According to the encyclopedia, mid year 1910 the support was added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Dale, There were several people in California making radiators, one being Gilbert metal products. i cant remember the others at this time, ill let you know if any more come to mind. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Dale, Reproduction Brass radiators made in the mid 1960's were made by Fred Stiver in Los Altos, CA. In my opinion the best reproduction radiators made to date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Don,

I'll second that. I bought a Fred Stiver brass radiator in about 1979. Great product. Everything on the radiator was either brass or bronze. Never anything to rust.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:07 am:

All the information above is correct. Gilbert Metal Products made the very first ones in the EARLY '60'S, and I remember paying $135 for one!
The front trim on these radiators had issues, and that is when Greg Gouveia of the original Brass works began buying Gilberts radiators, and adding the correct front trim for them. Eventually, Greg made everything. I wish he still did, because what we have now is not nearly as nice, and not made correctly either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale McMurry on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Thanks for the information. I recently bought a old unused reproduction radiator that was shipped to me in a wooden box. This was a very nice 1910 radiator. workmanship was very good. It was packed with a San Luis Obispo newspapers dated Friday April 26, 1963, So which one of the guys made it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

From "THE BOOK", some time in later 1910 the bar was added. "The 1909 and most of the 1910 Ford radiators did not have the heavy support bar across the bottom of the core, as the did the later type."
Page 66, "THE MODEL T FORD"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Dale, I bought the radiator for my 1915 tourer from Greg Gouveia at Brassworks in San Louis Obispo in 1991. He built it specially for me, without the 'Made in USA' on the front plate, as my car was a Canadian one.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration