1913 Touring in Model T Times

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 Touring in Model T Times
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I had a wonderful talk with Eric MacLeod about his car at the Old Car Festival in Dearborn this year, but the weather was not good, and I hoped to talk with him further the following day, but he never returned. This car is a gem, but has issues. I wanted to share them with Eric, but was unable to. First, I believe the firewall is an original, but not to this car. I looked at it for awhile at the OCF, and just couldn't figure it out! There is no evidence that the correct patent plate was ever mounted above the steering column, as it should be. The plate is mounted where the speedometer should be, but can't. The entire speedometer assy. is missing, so that is part of the problem. I believe it to be one of the earliest '13s I've seen, but couldn't critique it further at the OCF. With all the changes that have been made to this wonderful car, that is what I'm basing my thoughts on. I hope Eric and others will add more information, as it is a mystery to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 08:16 am:

I read the article and loved the car, but was somewhat disappointed to read he may eventually restore the car. I totally understand he has that right as it's his car; but to find an original 1913 in such un-touched condition, well as they say it's only original once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:12 am:

My dad and I owned the car for a couple of years. Our plan was to just make it correct with all the correct parts. Unfortunately, in order to keep it going some restoration will have to take place. The original 12 rivet rear end is with the car. The wheels will need to be done to keep his family safe. I agree its a shame to restore it and I know Eric very well and either way he goes with it.....it will be first class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Yes, I am wrestling with the problem of restore vs. Original. The car really isn't as reliable as I'd like it to be now. I'm on borrowed time on the tires, wheels, and radiator. The driveshaft is incorrect as are some of the springs. The body has the typical 13 touring sag I'm the rear and really needs to have the wood done. Obviously I have the wrong engine in it and the mag quit on me. While putting the top up at Old Car Festival in September I broke a top bow so clearly those have to be done and while I'm at it I'll likely replace the top with something more weather tight. So the problem is with that much of the car apart, where do I stop? You see the problem. And as Mark said, whatever I do I want it done right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

One other thing is I do have a wonderfully restor re d 26 touring also so if I want to drive and show a "best of" car it is only as far away as the inside of my trailer. Mayhap that is a relief to you Bill?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Eric, I think your car is terrific no matter what you decide to do! I just really love the look of an original, unrestored car no matter what the year. And I totally understand your dilemma; it's kind of like a domino effect. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and happy motoring!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration