1916 touring project on ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1916 touring project on ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Nice project T on ebay pretty complete brass car
http://m.ebay.com/?SSOWebDispatcher&tg=web&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi5.ebay.com%2Fws%2F eBayISAPI.dll%3FUserItemVerification%26item%3D201726765092%26sourcePage%3DViewIt em

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Wrong link

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:06 am:

Try this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-Ford-Model-T-/201726765092?forcerrptr=true&hash=ite m2ef7da2824:g:4f0AAOSwo4pYNSSF&item=201726765092

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:23 am:

Looks like he's collected a bit of early tin and sat it on a later chassie, and look mom, I've got a 1916 T!! you would have to throw a lot of dollars at it for a resto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 04:59 am:

perpetuating the destruction of the hobby....anyone unfamiliar with these cars and running across any T stuff will price it to the moon after seeing this foolishness. The next guy looking to get involved in the hobby will be ''priced out'' without a dime changing hands. On any one of my replica vehicle builds I fabricate many parts not because I want to but because I simply cannot pay the prices asked for common parts that should sell reasonably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I think his sign should read: "buy antiques and sell junk".

One would have to be very desperate for a car to get sucked into this deal. Fortunately there are still many good cars out there, reasonably priced, for the first time buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

I wasn't going to bring up the price, OR the correctness of the car.
But? Since it came up. Yes, the chassis is mostly later stuff. The sheet metal looks to be mostly '16, or even latter half '15. The sheet metal also looks to be pretty decent (as good or better than what I have for my '15 runabout). The body and fenders look like it might be an easy restoration. As always, a good idea to look it over before buying.
The price? I may think it is a bit high? Or not. I have seen worse sell for more money. The wrong chassis parts could be replaced easily, but could get a little pricey. I would be a bit concerned about the lack of information and photos of the engine because it could be the most expensive thing.

I am not generally a fan of dealers, or antique shops selling antique cars or projects. I have seen way too many of them that were really bad.
This one, however. If I had enough money to spare? (I do not!) And if it was close to me? (It is about 3000 miles too far.) I would consider it. Of course, I already have the correct front end, rear end, and most of a December '15 motor.
Be nice, drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 07:46 am:

I must be really out of touch or maybe others are. I go to Hershey every year and ratty touring bodies with nothing going with them are going for $2500 and up. So I'm to assume that the windshield frame, perfect rear fenders, front fenders, radiator, hood, hood former, headlights, side lights, tail lights, Fender irons, top bows,frame, and engine aren't worth $1000? Oh and the body is in GREAT shape!(including the wood)

With so many running frames laying around from the hot rodders, I am trying to give somebody with less money and better hands on skill than some of the PERFECT people on here opportunity to get into the hobby cheaply and keep it going.

Yes I am a JUNK collector as I have many Model T's (and I love them thanks for the negative input boys may everything you all own be perfect)

BTW thank you Wayne Sheldon for seeing through the imperfections, you are a real hobbyist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:52 am:

James, I looked at your auction and I am in aggrement with Wayne. For what you have there I feel it is a good price. You are not giving it away, but you are not overpriced either. The body alone is a very nice looking piece. It would take very little to make it a "correct" 1916. I sell at swap meets and e-bay all the time. It would be almost impossible to piece together what you have for what you are asking. Do not let the "nay sayers" get to you. There are lots of T Folks that bought complete cars for 15.00 and wonder why they are not still priced that way. So many of the older "model T parts hoarders" that have dozens of each part are usually the ones "out of touch" Like Wayne, If I needed another project, I would not have any problems with your car. have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ... One other thing while Im "ranting" :-) A lot of the folks that knock these "project cars" are the ones who find a nice survivor that is complete. Then they replace all the wood because it was old, replace the upholstery and springs, replace the fenders and hood with repros, because the old ones were dented and rusty, replace the glass, wiring, hoses, wood spokes, belts, all the little things that really do need replaced, and then repaint the darn thing. The car they end up with is really no more "correct " or "original" than your project could be. OK Im done "ranting" :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

I'm glad Wayne and Donnie spoke up, as it looks (from the small, on the computer pics) to be a good deal to me, especially if the body wood is good, which, judging by the straightness of the body, it is. Putting a correct frame and rear axle under it isn't that big a deal, although there are a lot of other little things to make an accurate '16.
I'm not in the market, like Wayne, and since I live close to Wayne, it's also WAY too far away to even consider.
Yes, it would be lovely to find this all together, and with an engine that would run with a few hours of tinkering, but you don't find that very often, and usually at a higher price.
James, good luck, hope it finds an appreciative home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I may be mistaken, but I believe that car was at Hershey this year in the flea market behind the old stadium?

I was looking at the top as it had that round stuffed wind break for above the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:58 am:

I think this was at Hershey, or one very similar, about the same price but also had a set of tires with it. I tried to buy the tires but he was selling them with the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 05:38 am:

That car was at Hershey in my space and yes it did have the wind breaker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 05:40 am:

Yes this is the car that was at Hershey with the wind breaker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:15 am:

The body looks pretty decent from my laptop. Not all rusted out and eaten up. Price wise I would have to say since it has no title, that alone drops the price of the car 3-500.00 dollars.

A bill of sale will help but that depends on which state your in and the hassle of going through to get one. A bonded tile is the way to go in this situation.

And it is true that at Chickasha there has been worse looking 'piles of parts' that have sold in this price range or more.

Lets face it folks. If your looking to buy a starter car for cheap, you might could do that. But does that include the cost of gas, maybe a motel bill and eats? You can drive all over the country and spend that and more to find a good car for cheap. Its all in how you see the cost of finding a car. Besides what it cost of the car is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:22 am:

I saw it at Hershey. It is his car, why not let the guy sell it? It is always best to start negotiating with the price too high then accept what the best offer is. eBay is the best place I know of to sell a car. You will have exposure to buyers all over the world. Someone wants this car, and will pay something for it. We just don't know who or how much yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Over the years, I have probably seen more than a hundred cars advertised for sale, needing FULL restoration, that I wish I could have bought, at the full asking price. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), they were in the Eastern third of the continent, and the cost to go get them to Califunny was too high. (It costs almost as much to transport a pile of rust 3000 miles as it does a fully restored car. Other complications like inspecting before buying, hotel and travel costs just complicated things (and costs) even further.
Maybe you people back East are used to seeing things like this really cheap often. But here in Califunny, something like that would probably sell fast at that price.
About four years ago, right here in Grass Valley, was a really bad "1915" touring car. A bad old paint job made it look like something from more than a hundred feet away, but otherwise, NOTHING about the car was as good as this one looks. The ONLY '15/'16 parts on the car were the front fenders, hood, and hood former (and if I recall correctly one rear fender). The entire chassis was mid '20s, the touring body was mid '20s, and the radiator was an ugly '70s repro. The asking price was $5000. It sold in about a month, for full asking price (or so the seller claimed).
James M's car has what appears to be a real late'15/'16 touring body in pretty decent condition. better fenders, beginnings of a top. Around here, you might be able to assemble something comparable, and spend only a couple thousand dollars for the parts alone. But you would probably spend a couple years and another couple thousand dollars just in travel costs doing so. One could probably still buy a body nearly ready to paint from "the Craftsman" (in San Diego)? But it would cost more than $3500. And you would then have only a body, not one part more.
For me? Restoring pieces of history has always been an important part of this hobby. This car looks like a good beginning for a really nice car. I hope James finds a good buyer and home for it!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

(Message edited by wayne sheldon on November 27, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Saw this in person a few days ago. Some may recall a posting involving a T yard sale in N.J. Close enough for me to take a look. The body is in quite good shape and so is the wood. Can't say it's all '16 but a load of parts go with it. I guesstimate a good 70/80% is there. No title. Not interested in a money pit so I never asked what he wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Two hours left, and still no bids. This is historically a bad weekend for selling things like this. Back when I was still buying parts, many of the best bargains I got on rare parts was holiday weekends. A lot of the buying competition is too busy with family.
(I just let out one of my secrets!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Wayne, SCHHHH... That was my secret too. :-) :-) But the best time to sell is when the Income tax return checks are coming in at the start of the year. :-) dang it I let another cat out of the bag ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 02:58 am:

Durn cats!
LOL
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 01:46 am:

That's a bargain. Seriously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Wayne and Donnie, that must be why that Fronty "T" head went so cheap on Ebay last week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Derek, I thought the same thing about the "Fronty head car" It went real cheap. This is a bad time of year to sell... Unless it makes a nice Christmas present or is a extreamly rare/ desireable item. They always sell good. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration