Car in a hardware store-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Car in a hardware store-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:42 am:

Not a Ford, but a really nice picture showing a sideline business of selling automobiles in the early years of the business.

Does anyone know what brand it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:43 am:

The photo is from Mapleton Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Could it be a Dodge? They had a round emblem on the radiator similar to that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Not a Dodge Bros. Maybe a Velie or Oakland???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Herb, not sure if it's for sale, maybe the store owner just liked parking it there. It has license plate and the all essential drip pan under the car.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Great picture, love the wood floor and the tin ceiling! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:15 am:

I think the sweet lady would part with it for the right price

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:43 am:

I'm with you Mark, absolutely love those old stores with the creaky wood floors and the tin ceilings. Wish there were more around. We visited a few last July on the Finger Lakes tour, in a neat little town by the canal. Naturally my lame brain forbids me to remember the name of the town.
I love those humongous stoves too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:18 am:

The first two things I noticed are the beautiful ranges and the fact that paint can't haven't changed in a hundred years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:00 am:

When I was a boy the mother of my dad's best friend lived on a ranch. Into the 1960's she used a wood stove very much like the big one in the photo. In her 80's she'd stoke that thing up, then perform magic. Even as a youngster I was amazed at the quality and quantity if what was prepared on that old thing.

I wad fortunate to have had the experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:11 am:

That store looks like it has EVERYTHING! There might even be a kitchen sink hidden somewhere! That lady looks a lot like my grandmother and even dresses a bit like her.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

c. 1913 RCH ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Is that a tin ceiling, or a tongue & groove wooden ceiling? Not many folks remember those--before Sheetrock was common, it was cheaper to put up a wood ceiling than to have a plaster one done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Tim, the town was Palmyra, NY.

My first three years of school were in a red brick schoolhouse with creaky wood floors and a stamped tin ceiling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

David,

I believe you are correct. It looks like a T & G wood ceiling to me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

The wooden ceiling has a pronounced sag at the back. I wouldn't park under it!
If that car is a Vellie, I have a nice 6:1 ratio Stewart speedo swivel which Russ Furstnow's book is correct for a Vellie, or a Hudson.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

The sag could be there on purpose if the building had a flat type roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

The wall to the left looks a bit bent too - maybe it's a photo of a slightly bent original photo - or maybe the camera lens caused some distortion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Nope. it's a tin ceiling, look closely at the crosswise pattern. Clue to that is the deep "crown mould" at the edges. The ceiling is not sagging. The crown mould follows an extension to the room, and the highlight on the ceiling at that point makes it appear as if it's sagging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Thanks R.V.!! Now I remember!! I DO have some pics of a couple of the old stores we visited and the print shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 07:38 am:

Back in the mid sixties I would help out my good friend James Johnston at his Scottish Bakery in Lowell, Mass.during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It was located in an older building with wood floors and a tin ceiling, plus all those wonderful smells coming from that hugh oven. Then there are all those people who took down all those beautiful tin ceiling and now they're back in favor.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Great picture. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Great pic
The 2nd thing i seen was the stoves. This was my mothers. I ate many meals from this one. Its in our kitchen. Dont cook on it but its a great place to stack stuff on and in!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration