Warford question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Warford question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:14 am:

I'm getting ready to remove a cast iron 3-speed from my '12 Touring. The car is pretty much fully assembled, and I'm concerned about how much room I have to pull the Warford back to disengage the input shaft (There's no U-joint on this trans).

Can somebody measure the length of the transmission input shaft so I will know how far aft I will need to go ?

Thank you in advance,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:59 am:

turn it 90 degrees and slide it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Unless the input shaft has been changed at some point or was shimmed to eliminate the front u-joint I would be concerned about the condition of the output shaft on the transmission. Check with a u-joint for wear after you get the transmission out. The square on the input shaft would be about the same as the one on the drive shaft, would be about the same length. Should give you a ball park. Once the rear end is out and the top is off it should pull straight back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Dick, going from recent memory, you will need to pull the Warford back about 2-1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Tim, I'm not visualizing what you suggest. Are you saying to turn the shaft 90 degrees ? Or are you saying to turn the entire transmission ?

Mark, I do share your concern about the condition of the Ford output after running with the smaller Warford shaft engaged. That's one of the reasons that the Warford is coming out.

The reason I'm asking about shaft length is because I am limited in how far back I can slide the transmission without major disassembly of other components.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Thanks Chris,

It looks like I have 3 1/2" or maybe even 4" to play with. So maybe it will turn out alright after all.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

From the housing flange to the end of the square input shaft is 2 1/2" on the alum one I have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

Thanks for the actual measurement, Gene. That says Chris' recent memory is pretty darn accurate.

I'm feeling better about getting this thing out of the car now.

Dick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration