Radically OT: How to kill honeysuckle?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radically OT: How to kill honeysuckle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Yes, I know this is waaayyy OT, but maybe somebody in this very diverse pool of experience will have the answer. I sprayed the stuff two weeks ago with Cornerstone, a glyphosate herbicide like Roundup. Five days later I sprayed it again, this time with a concoction I found online. Along with the Cornerstone it contained salt, dish detergent, and vinegar. So far there are a few yellowed leaves, but most of the stuff looks disappointingly healthy. I kill trees and bushes by cutting them off at the ground and dosing the stumps with Tordon, and it works great. But that would be mighty tedious with honeysuckle, which spreads and puts down roots in hundreds of places. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

The last time I sprayed brush it took 11 days before I could see it was dying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

If nothing else this video is somewhat entertaining. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCwBUCnQOg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

You can't - it's an evergreen :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5JiD9yxL4U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Goats or pigs are the only answer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Mark, that's where I got my "witch's brew".

Maybe the stuff is just working slowly in cool weather. We'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Try Remedy and diesel. You may have to wait til spring when it starts growing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Steve, I've never had good results with roundup on honeysuckle. Go to TSC and get Gorden brush killer or Crossbow. Follow directions and be sure to cover as much of the leaves as possible. Do not apply if the honeysuckle is dormant. I do it any time in the summer with great results. If you are trying to kill it now, go with the Tordon. The two brush killers above will not kill your grass, roundup will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

In order for the Glyphosate herbicide to work, it needs to be absorbed into the plants "blood stream" where it's carried to its roots and tips of new growth. It basically starves the plant but to do this it takes time.

The leaves are just an entry point. You've done your job, now let the honeysuckle do the rest!

In my experience, it's taken about 2 weeks to really notice a significant difference. But it seems like once it starts to go, it goes all at once. May take a second application. But I'd give it a few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Steve,

Did you apply the herbicide during a full moon? That stuff only works when there's a full moon. Otherwise, it's like putting a water pump on a T. You feel good for the effort, but not much changes.

See, you can make any subject T related. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Steve, you shocked me! One of my favourite British TV series was Foyle's War. The female co-star was Honeysuckle Weeks, and she is a sweetie. Your request for info to kill her was alarming!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

I'd wait a bit for some results from your experiment so far but the above mentioned brush killer will definitely work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Remedy and Forefront.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

From my experience on a railroad line dealing with unwanted brush of all kinds, spraying involves lots of patience. It works but takes time. The bigger the plant the longer the time needed for the spray to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

6oz of Cornerstone plus 6oz Crossbow per gal of water and the honeysuckle doesn't have a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

You guys are brutal!
You know more about killing a plant than helping one grow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

:-)

Okay, Chris Brancaccio, this one was for you.
I thought better about it, and deleted instead of posting.
Thank you for all you do for us. I will try to be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

On my farm this summer, I declared war on honeysuckle, Chinese privet, and cedar trees that are invading the edges of my hayfields, making the fields smaller each year. The above concoction has worked, so far. I found the recipe in the internet.

Our honeysuckle is a vine and climbs trees. I didn't know it until googled honeysuckle that Wikipedia claims 180 different species of the plant. Some are vines, some are bushes so mileage may vary on any mixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Maybe way off the mark here, but I had issues with weeds that had a hardy root system. I was advised to leave a cup of roundup with the plant left partly soaking in it. Over a period of days, it sucks the round up right through the plant and roots. I was too impatient to try, but worth a mention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

If you mix a little diesel with your used T oil and sray it on a sunny day!!!
May not save the planet but gets rid of oil and kills about anything. 2 out of three.
Just sayin Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

It is my understanding to spray in the morning when dew is still on the leaves,that supposedly the leafs little "pores" for lack of better word, are open and receptive to the chemical.
But yes, it takes 2 weeks.I have a 12 gallon sprayer I put in the bed of the golf cart and maintain a couple driveways with it. 3 sprayers full on 1 job alone. It took 2 weeks to kill the grass in the middle and the vines in some neglected natural areas.

There is chemicals that are called ground neutralizers that will treat the dirt in a way that stuff won't germinate.But,tree roots that you don't want to die can get ahold of it and croak out.

Frankly,I would say give it a week. And the cold weather will stall new growth.You may be just whistling dixie spraying this late in the year.
Spring time,when it starts growing, give it a bait of the chemical you used mixed with diesel fuel. The Epa guys won't hug your neck for it but it will kill the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

This is very interesting to me as the honeysuckle is taking over my blackberries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

We're heading into cold weather now, so if the spraying I've done already fails to do the job I'll hit it again in the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Don't let the EPA see this, but spray it with Diesel Fuel. I haven't ever seen anything that it won't kill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Terry, that and gasoline will kill anything above ground. But will they circulate down into the plant to kill the roots?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 12:01 am:

I have been using Kilzol to eradicate the birds and frogs around here. It kills
all plant life it contacts as overspray. Good stuff. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Steve,
After 40 plus years of working with horticultural issues I have found if you cut the offending plant off at ground level and then use a paint brush to apply undiluted brush killer this will be pulled into the roots and stop the plant in its tracks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Steve; Goats eat anything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Steve, Roundup sells a brush and poison ivy killer. I've found it at both Home Depot and Lowe's. I've found it to be very effective. Once you spray it don't expect immediate results. I've seen it take 2 weeks or more for the plant to die, but it will and takes out the roots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Yes, Randy, I do that all the time with Tordon. BUT...see my first post. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

I cut my brush. The county doesn't want us to remove the roots because of erosion so It grows back every year and I need to cut it again. One way of getting free exercise without using a sissy gym. The only thing I spray is Poison Oak, because I don't want to touch it! I am very allergic to Poison Oak.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Steve,
I re-read your first post. Are you diluting the Tordon or applying it at full strength?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration