TOO MUCH ELECTRICITY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TOO MUCH ELECTRICITY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

The generator on my new speedster charges +20 amps with the plate set as far counter clockwise as it will go. With lights on it shows +10A. I need some ideas... Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

There are four small screws around the rear bearing that you loosen to set the brush plate to neutral that should have been set before you started moving the third brush.
If the generator has been properly rebuilt the brushplate lead most likely is not set correctly. It is a tricky adjustment and very easy to get wrong plus it's a great way to fry your generator. I wouldn't drive your car until this is corrected. You may want to contact Ron Patterson. A long time ago he walked me through the how to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

You might consider selling the extra power to your local utility to offset hobby costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 12:38 am:

Thanks John....I knew there was something. I'll see if I can figure it out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Hal,

The instructions that come with the Fun Projects voltage regulator is what I used to adjust the third brush. Are you sure you are rotating it in the correct direction?

http://funprojects.com/pdf/5055R6-052111.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

It's easy to adjust the brush plate neutral with the generator off the engine. Lift the third adjustable brush and put the spring beside the lifted brush so it's held off the commutator.

Connect the loose generator to a 6V battery, positive to the generator output (no cutout) and negative to the housing. If the brush plate is correctly set, the rotor won't turn when the battery is connected.

If it turns, the four small screws on the end of the generator has to be loosened a couple of turns and the whole brush plate turned slightly until the rotor stops turning when power is applied.

Tighten the screws, put the third brush back in action and mount the generator to the engine. Now it should be easier to adjust the output with the third brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 02:21 am:

Sure glad I posted. Roger , Dan and John...U B the best!

I'm stuffed....Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration