Rear wheels spinning in opposite direction. What have I done?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear wheels spinning in opposite direction. What have I done?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Posted a video of my initial starting problem and once the T fired up, 2 cyl are dead and I'm working on stuck valves.
But someone sent me an email and wanted to know why the rear wheels (rear end jacked off the ground) are spinning in opposite directions. Sure enough, I go out and roll one rear wheel clockwise and the other one goes the opposite way. I worked on this rear axle myself. What did I put together wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

That's normal. The differential is just doing its job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Robert, nothing is wrong. That's completely normal.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

THERE IS A GOD!

I envisioned my car spinning in a circle the first time I got it on the ground and running.

Thank you for the peace of mind. I won't try to figure out why it does what it dows, just be thankful that it does what it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Check the end of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wckzmktbGc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Put it on the ground. It won't do it any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:14 am:

That is the spider gears doing their job while the drive shaft isn't turning, it would have to have positive traction or a posi rear for both Wheels to spin the same way in the air

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration