T W marked front axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T W marked front axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Royce or anyone else who knows, what year or years was the T W (transue williams?) Marked front axle Used? Thanks Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

I would hazard a guess maybe up to around 1921,from what I've read, seems to me by then they pretty much were Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

If it is T W without Ford script it is likely 1913 - 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

I just tried to Google Transue Williams, and got nowhere fast.
From memory, not always correct, Transue and Williams merged in the early '10s. That may not be correct, but I think that is what I read a couple years ago before Mr Google decided I was nothing more than fodder for his cash cow.
In the beginning, The Dodge brothers and their company built most of the chassis for Ford, including assembly. As production grew, they assembled less, and manufactured more, but still could not quite keep up with Ford's needs. Ford also wanted to not be held to a single supplier. So, more and more parts were made to Ford's designs by other and more companies. T&W were making parts for Ford by 1912. I am fairly sure that they were supplying front axles before the '13 model year. The Dodge brothers were also on their way out from Ford about the same time, and for a variety of reasons. It took awhile for the parts they supplied to go through the Ford system.
While DB axles are the favored ones for brass era Ts, from 1913 on, TW is also correct. There were a couple other suppliers during that time (I do not recall their names offhand). Some axles did not have a maker's mark on them. From before 1915 through about 1919, TW was I think the single largest supplier of front axles. I think Ford was making front axles themselves, in their own plants, by 1920. But outside suppliers continued to provide some of them through most of the model T production.
I don't know all the timelines? But the T&W mark on the axles did change a couple times through the '10s (mostly a T over the W). It was 1919 when Ford wanted their name on most parts of a model T to help control issues with after-market copy parts.
Also, for a couple years, a stamping date (mold date?) was put onto many (but apparently not all) axles. I have seen several of these, usually between 1920 and 1922. I have heard of some later ones also. But most axles do not have that. I have also seen and heard of axles that had different dates front and back. It would make an interesting study to try to track those dates. The dates may or may not have something to do with who made them.

Well, all of that barely scratches the surface. Who knew there were so many variations on a single simple yet major part of the common model T?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Royce thanks for your input, it does not have ford script. It has over the axle perches without holes for oilers so I'm thinking 13 or 14

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration