1922 Montgomery Ward Catalog (entire catalog)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1922 Montgomery Ward Catalog (entire catalog)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

I scanned another of the old sales catalogs. This one is a 1922 Montgomery Ward. They were the main competition to Sears. I tried my best to get the resolution better, but it is the best I can do to fit the forum. There are 44 pages to this catalog. Ill attach a link to the other two catalogs I did before this one in a separate post. Hold down your Ctrl. key and hit + or - key to enlarge or reduce the photos. .... have fun and be safe, Donnie Brown ...

(Message edited by dobro1956 on November 24, 2016)

(Message edited by dobro1956 on November 24, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Here is a link to the Sears catalog

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/695642.html?1480030176

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Here is the link to the Kansas City Automobile Supply Co catalog. It deals with Model T era camping and touring supplies.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/534330.html?1429199248

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Thank You Donny! Great info, thanks for taking all the time to share with us all. Great winter reading, your hard work will answer a lot of questions on the aftermarket goodies for us all. Jim Derocher, AuGres, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

I'll take the Boyco can set for $7.45.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

I like that M-W tire tread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 01:32 am:

I'm ordering a Improved Speed Body for 1922, it's only $69.95 and looks like a Morten Bret. Shipped from a factory in Northern Indiana. Would it be a Morten Bret?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Donnie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post/share those. I was surprised to see the speedster body in the catalog. I did not know they included those in the catalogs. I learn something new about our T's every day!

Kevin,

The speedster body on page 41 appears to be a Race-Way Body. It is very similar to the Morten Brett body and the Race-Way company apparently was purchased by Morten Brett which continued to supply parts etc. Please see the link at the "Old Motor" at: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=107686 for photos comparing the two bodies as well as links to the Coachbuilt site with even more photos of both the Morten Brett and Race-Way. Both produced in Indiana.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Thanks again Donnie! Wow this had to take a lot of time. Great going. We always called 'em "Monkey Wards"...they had a real small store right across the street from Sears in the town up north of us. Now of course, both are gone. Even the Sears that went to the mall folded up. Times, they are a'changin'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Tim, We also used the term "Monkey Ward". Grandma and Grandpa used Montgomery Wards to order things from the catalog. In the days before Wal Mart, Montgomery Ward and Sears were a life saver. You could get stuff that the "local" stores did not carry. The other two choices of Grandpa was Western Auto and OTASCO. Almost every county of Oklahoma and Arkansas had at least one Western Auto and OTASCO. I have loved and collected these old catalogs for years. They show lots of stuff you never get to see or even knew what it was. Things like the tire treads shown above. The tire would make an imprint in the dirt roads of the day showing what tires were being used. Things like the letters M W in the Montgomery Wards tires, the words "Non Skid" or distinct tread patterns were advertisements in the days before TV and the internet. I used to know all the tread patterns of all the local neighbors when our road was still dirt. You could tell who had went to town just by walking out to the road and see the tracks. Im slowly scanning an early Western Auto catalog next. It is a 1917 catalog from the days when Western Auto was "mail order only" They were formed in 1909 and were "mail order only" till they opened there first retail store in 1921. The earlier "mail order only" catalogs have not survived as well as the 21 and later catalogs. They are out there but harder to find. So Im scanning an early one. have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

Thanks Hap for the info on the Race-Way body. That was very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Thanks Donnie for the catalog posts that you have been doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

My mom worked at the St Paul Monkey Wards store for 20+ years. She quit around '70. I always hit the return & over stock floor, stuff was really cheap in there. We always had the Wards & Sears book around. We would sit for hours, and marked all the things we wanted it them.

Pat

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration