Selling extra parts- seemed like a good idea then

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Selling extra parts- seemed like a good idea then
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I don't intend to be in the parts business , but like others, I had some extra parts so I decided to sell them. Since I was planning to place an order with one of the suppliers I suggested the buyer have the supplier send me a gift certificate for the amount agreed on. Evidently not a good idea. I went ahead and shipped the parts and after several weeks I still have no payment. The supplier is no help . I don't know why the delay, but I won't do it again. I won't ship parts again until I get paid. Lesson learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Shame, there's people like that in this hobby. Hope it all works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Sorry that happened. Hopefully it's not one of our regular posters here :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Thats terrible. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:00 am:

I haven't given up yet. I expect to get something in the mail any day now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:20 am:

As the old saying goes: "Your friend, my friend, only CASH makes us all friends."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:59 am:

I don't understand why u would want him to go thru the extra to get u a gift certificate for u, money order is so much better, altho I haven't had a check bounce yet from a T guy so they work too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I think he and I thought that he could simply do the certificate purchase online with a credit card quickly and easily. Now I know better. It won't happen again. If I knew that the supplier was responsible for the long wait I would not buy from them in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Have you kicked in any doors and taken prisoners yet ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Only problem I've had with selling parts is that I'll sell stuff thinking I'll never need it, then later down the road I wish I still had it. You never know what you might need in a couple years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

If the parts supplier has not gotten any money or payment yet what do they have to do with the transaction? Nothing.
If the person that bought the parts has completed the transaction with the parts supplier then they should be able to provide a transaction number and or proof of payment.

(Message edited by redmodelt on November 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

That's to bad Tommy. Yes there are folks out there who aren't honest. Worse yet there are folks who are just slow about making payments and making good on transactions. They just simply take there time and aren't prompt about anything they do. There are more of those type of people than dishonest ones I've found.

I decided a long time ago when selling something that the money has to come to me first before any parts are shipped.

For what its worth I have a 100% Ebay rating and always pay promptly and do likewise when selling something. I believe a persons word means something and its to bad a lot of other people it means absolutely nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Call or write the guy you shipped the parts to he and tell him he forks over the money or all cyberspace will know what a no good son of a bitch he is. I had to threaten this a number of years ago when a friends widow let somebody remove things from her property without payment. And they came across. Also, other steps were taken.I couldn't stop them from trying to cheat her, but I sure as hell made them wish they had not tried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

No no I received one of the two payments today and prefer to think that the other will be coming any day now. It appears that the supplier took their time in mailing the certificate to the buyer and he promptly forwarded it to me. I guess it's like this... the supplier has their money and they are not really concerned about me ordering parts that are already paid for. All my transactions henceforth will be paid for with a money order.

To the buyer who's payment I received today- thanks and I intended no offense to you or to question your honesty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:46 am:

My wife has a strict money policy at her automotive service centers, and it's very simple, the sign simply sez All Terms CIF!!!!

CIF, you ask? yes CIF, what does that mean, they ask, Glad you asked, it simply means CASH IN FIST!!! you come in with the cash in your fist and we cheerfully let you take your car. We like to keep it simple and friendly.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

I would expect this for service at a specialty/antique vehicle service facility. For regular service, if you won't take a credit card, I'll go elsewhere. Cash is the insurance for you, but experience tells me that warranties expire upon payment of invoice. With a credit card, the warranty expires when I pay the invoice, so it is the insurance for me. I get 30 days to see if the repair is good. The minimal cost of accepting a credit card in exchange for a promise of payment is a good deal for the business. Some businesses don't see it that way, their more successful competitors do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Perhaps I was not quite clear about our CIF policy. We take credit cards and checks and cash, we just don't deliver a vehicle without the money 1st. It's just good smart business.

What we don't take is a promise to pay later, or the check is in the mail!!!! We have been in business over 40 years and very successfully I might add in part due to our CIF policy. The other part of our cash policy is we pay cash for every delivery every piece of equipment we purchase, so we don't owe a dime to anyone at anytime. Cash is king!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 08:11 am:

I received one of the two gift cards and placed an order with the supplier. Now I'm anxious to see how the service is from them. The other buyer contacted me saying that he would send the card to me as soon as he got it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration