Roadster vs touring door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roadster vs touring door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rothrock on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Are the passenger side front doors the same on the 1921-25 touring and the roadster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Mark the touring and runabout/roadster doors are the same 1915-1925. There are variations in the door latches and sriker plates but the doors interchange.

The late 1924 and 1925 have a different door hinge from the earlier 1915-1924 hinge -- but the door changes out just fine.

Note the 1923 and earlier bodies were made by several different outside body suppliers as well as Ford. So the fit or finish of the door could be a little different, but it should fit and function fine.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:15 am:

If you avoid the 1915 and early/mid year 1916 door latches where the bolt moved vertically along with the striker plates for that vertical latch then all the later 1916-1925 doors will interchange without having to change the latch and/or striker plate to match the latch.

Note if you desire to have it as close to the way Henry assembled it -- the late 1924 and into 1925 striker plate changed from being held with 4 screws to 2. But either will function "OK."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

I don't know how big a problem it really is? But my February '15 runabout was tough to find a door that worked. I had gotten the body from a very good friend. He and I tried three doors in it. None of them fit well, but we chose the one that came closest. I also had a door at home, and tried it. It turned out to be a '14 door, and the shape fit better, but the hinge on a '14 is offset almost a half inch from the '15s. I decided the slight modifications to the door Dan gave me was a better plan than trying to drift the door hinge on a more rare '14 door. I am not sure I was right, but it now fits fairly well, and hopefully will look good enough.
The earlier bodies varied more in many ways than the later ones did. There were many minor changes made, and several different body builders, outfitters, and suppliers than the later cars. I would imagine that is where my trouble was. Doors did vary a bit more on earlier bodies than they did through most of later production.
However, yes, the touring front and runabout doors are generally interchangeable.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rothrock on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Thanks Hap and Wayne. My door is rusted away at the bottom and I just wanted to make sure I was looking for the right sort of replacement if I decide not to fix it. I have the old striker plate and will look to see how many screws when I get home. The latch mechanism was gone, and I already bought a new replacement.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:58 am:

The door latches changed at least twice after 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:31 am:

"The late 1924 and 1925 have a different door hinge from the earlier 1915-1924 hinge -- but the door changes out just fine." True for the most part but the mounting holes in the hinge, 24/25, are in a different locations as I recall. I seem to recall having a door that the holes did not line up, found out it was for the rectangular 24/25 hinge.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration