Camber

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Camber
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Adjusting camber using a pipe wrench. I had a negative camber, adjusting to positive. cam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:22 am:

That's caster you're adjusting, not camber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Jerry : Ken is right. If you had negative caster before, probably the axle, or the spring perches were installed backwards. The caster is established by an angle built into each perch, and there is a specific left and right side perch. I've also seen a situation where a fellow installed the complete axle in backwards resulting in negative caster. Good luck : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Here is my first attempt to do a axle twist. The problem I ran into was there was just too much metal in the upper part of the axle to do any twisting so I put the pipe wrench to that part of the axle just adjacent to the spindle. I jacked to axle up high enough to put the pipe wrench handle on to a pile of blocks so when I lowered it put a twist to the axle. What I discovered was that to get a 1' twist I had to go to a 2" twist and hold it for hours. There was always a "recovery" once the wrench pressure was released. Oops, I'm twisting caster, not camber. Too much turkey (wild) residing in what's left with my brain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the axle itself can be mounted either direction. Its the perches that determine proper caster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Forgot to attach pic. That wild turkey again,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Well, you are probably correct. So there's that turkey again. Only the passenger side needed twisting. The driver's side was OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Yes Tim , the axle can go either way until you install the perches. A friend of mine rebuilt his axle with new perches but months later installed the complete assembly backwards without checking the perch angle. He said that the car was virtually impossible to drive over 10 MPH due to the negative caster. A reversal of the complete axle assembly as well as exchanging the spindles cured the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I wouldn't try to bend it there, that's just likely to put the king pin in a bind, I would put the wrench on the axle end itself--that's where you want the bend anyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

David, you are correct. Once I got the wrench in place I said to my self, you dummy, look what that would do to the king pin even if you did manage to get a twist. So, idea # 2.... That one worked. I used a 18" pipe wrench with a 42" cheater and a stack of 2x4 blocks. In all it took me the better part of a week to get a twist to stay twisted. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

When I assembled my '22 that I got with the front end already assembled the spindles were on backwards.
I noticed the negative caster before I drove the car.
Left hand thread goes on the right and right hand thread goes on the left.
The spring perches were reversed too.
I just turned the whole assembly around- after removing the wish bone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

The wishbone has a big effect on caster. Take it loose from the axle and see how loose the axle is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Bruce, that's what I kind of figured. I always put the axle in first, THEN the perches so as to avoid that very easy mistake! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration