Its finally time to start Speedster Project work again... :-) :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Its finally time to start Speedster Project work again... :-) :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

It is officially time for my work season to start. The day after Thanksgiving till after Chickasha Swap Meet is "Dads shop time" :-) Unless someone is "on fire" or on there way to the hospital, Dad is unavailable till springtime. I hope this season get the speedster up and running. I have a rear end for the 27 touring to finish up, then its off and running on the speedster project. Most everyone may be sick of it by now as this is year 3 of the build. Ill be posting updates of it as I did before, so just a warning about the upcoming "Speedster Project Update Threads". If sick of it by now please hide your eyes ..:-) I had a slight change of game plan after Terry Woods agreed to sell me his RAJO F-head 4 valve head. So now I have that to deal with. The body is almost done. I just need to make the trim strip along the body, and then take the body off and take it to the upholstery shop. While it is gone I should have most of the winter to finish the chassis. As lots of you know I have been building it as a "original patina" type of build. Saving every bit of rust and stains I can. But I have decided to "bling" out the motor and trans, to full blown restoration and then install it in my 'patina" car. There was an old saying my grandpa used for something like that. It was, and I quote, "it sticks out like a new silver dollar in a boars a$$" So if grandpa said it, it must be OK. :-) :-) I just think it would be a shame to have that beautiful RAJO not be pretty for at least a little while. I can always "age it" later after the new wears off.

The Rajo F head and other goodies.

The car right now

I also have this KR Wilson pan jig to get "up and working" I have to build the fixtures and then have it blanchard ground, Its not a real big project but will eat up some time in the shop. And I really want to make sure the pan is straight.

So Im "off and running" and "may the games begin" Have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ..

(Message edited by dobro1956 on November 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Here is a link to some of the work already done. Most of ya'll have seen it before but maybe someone has not. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me thru this long build and all the help Ive received.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/603440.html?1459204370

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Well, I can only speak for myself. But I am not sick of your updates. I am just really upset that I have been working on my '15 runabout just about the same time, and it isn't as close to done as your speedster is! My original goal for it was to be done enough to drive on its 100th birthday. That will be two years ago come spring.
So, POST AWAY! I will enjoy reading them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Glad to hear you're working on it again, I for one look forward to every post about it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Wayne, Before I retired, it used to take me about 5 years to do a complete rebuild/restoration. No money and little extra time played a big part back then. Now that Im retired I thought I should be able to do a complete restoration in a couple years. Nope, it doesn't work that way. Seems like now I have less spare time since retiring, Im not rich, but I have enough funds to pursue most anything I want to do on the project, as long as I do not go crazy. But now it takes me twice to three times as long to do something as it used to. So I may be stuck with the 5 year build time :-( :-( But I really am trying to get it going this winter. I also have to get me a go-pro video camera and learn how to do some "Jelf"ian videos of its first start and run ... Maybe I need to start hinting as to Christmas ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Donnie, I don't believe any of us are "sick of" your project. I know I look forward to the installments of it.

I think it would be great if you got it running this year, post up often. Sometimes a picture here is worth a thousand words in the future when someone needs help or has questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

I look and reload at all the posts as I really like the shape of that body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Donnie -- your posts are very encouraging to all of us -- please keep them coming.

Wayne -- it should be no problem that you missed getting your project done in time for its 100th birthday. We now have some extra time before they turn 200 years old.....

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Another vote for posting frequently AND often ! This is a great looking
speedster and I love the old and unrestored look. It is great to see it come
together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:31 am:

You'll NEVER bore me with updates and pictures Donnie, your speedster "Is a work of art". Just keep'n come'n.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:44 am:

I figured out why it is taking an extra year to get the speedster project finished. "Its Terry Woods fault" :-) He twisted my arm and made me buy a RAJO (No he didn't but that's my story and Im sticking to it) Then with the RAJO, it just looked like it needed a magneto, so a Columbo cross drive was found. Then it just looked like it needed a deep sump oil pan. "Hey Look" Sherman deep sump pans are on e-bay and somehow one was charged to my pay pal account.:-)... "WOW", I found out a man was making really nice RAJO oil gauges and only had a few left from his last run, with no plans for anymore. "I better get one of them now before they are all gone". Then of course I needed a carb rebuilt so off to Stan Howe went my OF Stromberg to be rebuilt and the U&J is next. So with all that and some more, an entire years budget somehow disappeared. So see Its not my fault" "Its Terry's fault" Sorry Terry, :-)

PS. Thank you Terry for selling me the RAJO.... I really do appreciate it even though I have to blame it all on you :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Thanks so much for the detailed "recap" of your speedster build so far! Beautiful work for sure, and beautiful photos as well! I have a bunch of "favorite" details that you show in this "recap" post of yours Donnie, but one of them for sure is the very nicely fabricated fuel tank mounting brackets/straps. I'm guessing that the springs are Model T valve springs, correct? What a great piece of work! I'm sure the thought being that this type of mounting will secure the fuel tank tightly but with constant pressure to eliminate any possible strain on tank from frame flex, right? You are a brilliant "designer" as well as skilled craftsman Donnie, and your photographic "documentation" is much appreciated! Am looking forward to carefully following your speedster build to completion,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Hmmm,....after a second look, those springs look more like Model T radiator mount springs. Anyway,....pretty neat whatever the case,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Harold, the springs are radiator mount springs. Yes, the spring tension will hold the tank but still allow flex in the body. The bolts that go thru the frame are 3/8 inch bolts passing thru a 7/16 inch hole in the frame and body, to allow the entire bolt to be able to flex in its hole. I also slightly "wallered out the hole" in the body (mostly at the top of the hole) to make sure everything is "free to move" "Wallered out" is a technical term from the hills of Arkansas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:41 am:

"Wallered out". Got it! Using Arkansas hill country "technical terms" is probably a much better choice than using "boilermaker" technical terms, right? I mean, use of profanity on the forum is "frowned upon" you know,.......(:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Harold, "Boilermaker" language is an "art" that takes years to master. and some, if not most of it, is not for the "common masses" It is best to leave it at the "job site" :-) :-) I speak fluent "hillbilly" and also have a large volume of 'Boilermaker" to use if the need and situation arises for it ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Donnie, I'm another that's been itchin' for you to get back to this project!
Like Hap said, it's encouraging to all of us!
Woohoo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Very cool garage! Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Oh darn not this stupid old speedster post again! I can't believe you're going to bore us again with this crap! Don't you have anything better to do! :-)

Donnie, looking forward to this years progress and a ride. ( that is if you get it done before I die!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Rick, I have been in that old shop for almost 37 years now. It was built with cedar tree posts, scrap salvage lumber, I saved up for a whole year to be able to afford the concrete floor. It never was a "nice shop" but it has served me well. Its only 20X30 feet with an attached 10X30 shed machine shop. Now that Im retired, I thought about building a new shop. I can afford it now. But one day I was sitting in the shop, and my grandson was working on his bicycle. Then it hit me, there are three generations of memories in that shop. Every stain, chips in the concrete, broken windows, long hours working on projects, for me, with my son, grankids, and family, are all a story of their own. Sitting by the wood stove, getting warm all the way to my old bones, is priceless. When we are gone for awhile on vacation or ??? The first place I go when we get back home, is the shop. The smells of the old shop are "home" to me. So I decided to start doing more maintenance to the old girl... I guess me and the shop are going to be together till the day I die. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:19 am:

I love your projects, keep them coming.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

I like your shop, almost as much as I like the cars and projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 01:35 am:

Sad to say, that there garage ain't secure enough for these parts. If I was gone a day or two, that air compressor for sure wouldn't still be there.
Wish I lived in a place like yours, and my place is pretty peaceful (so far).
Love it, it has the right patina!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 09:26 am:

David, We lived here almost 20 years, and one door of the house did not even have a door knob. We just propped it shut with a brick. Times have changed some around here, We now have door knobs and locks. I have installed a camera security system, that downloads to the cloud (web) with 5 cameras. A lot of the folks around here think Im the crazy old dude that was in the "mafia" :-) because I was a union worker. :-) We still have a tight community. It is slowly being changed by the influx of new people, that think our ways are backward and outdated. But now that the natural gas boom is over a lot of them are leaving because there is no longer work around here. I like the Arkansas Ozark Mountains....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration