Early St. Louis, MO Gas Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Early St. Louis, MO Gas Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Many thanks to Derrick Pang for posting this on Facebook.

"Automobile fueling at one of the first gas stations in St. Louis, operated by the Pierce Oil Company at 4614 Washington Boulevard, 1916.
Credit: Missouri Historical Society."

station

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Love the light bulb signs ! Few people saved these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

The second car looks like a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Heckuva long way to run the fuel hoses. I'm sure it's just a wrinkle or scratch in the picture, but where the hose curls looks like it's spraying liquid out. Even the guy in the hat is looking that way. Hope no cigs are around! Or maybe it's a water hose..who knows. I like those signs too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

I think that's a water hose. Looks like the guy behind the pole is rinsing something off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

If I was in that picture, I believe I'd head over to the hospitality room at Lemp Brewery and have a mug or two of Pre-prohibition Falstaff. To see if there was any hint of the same flavor profile of what we brewed at the Ft. Wayne brewery, where I worked when I was a 'kid'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Mark,
Thanks for posting this! I collect Pierce Petroleum items and it is very difficult to find photos of the gas stations. Pierce's headquarters was in St. Louis. They sold out to Sinclair about 1929. The big sign has the "Pennant" on it for Pierce Pennant Gasoline. I would like to know what type of gas pumps they are using but I can't tell from the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Great picture.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Great picture. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Sorry about that. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration