Cronk trans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cronk trans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:22 am:

I have had this TT tanker project for probably 2 years now
And decided to finally build a cab for it but I got curious
As to what the 3 speed trans looked like inside I bet it's
A real meat grinder . Some serious double clutching will be
Needed with this old bear straight cut gears and no synchros!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordtt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Yes. If not already, get acquainted with the local model A club. They should be able to give lessons in speed matching for quiet shifts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Jim,

Great photos of the sliding transmission at your flickr link.

At the Northwest Speedster site they have posted an article from the "Vintage Ford" about auxiliary transmissions. It includes a couple of paragraphs about the Cronk Transmission. They pointed out it was first call the Cronk Transmission then Cronk Simplex and finally just Simplex (but still had the Cronk name in the address). See the article at: http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/MTFCA/Articles/2602AuxilaryTransmissions2.pdf and it is the first transmission discussed.

The straight cut gears were common on transmissions back then. And with a little practice (it helps to be able to hear also) they can be shifted without grinding the gears. Photos added so if the flickr copies go away -- we can still see them.

It also looks like your TT has some sort of an addition just in front of the rear axle?

Good luck with your project!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

From the article in the Mar-Apr 1991 “Vintage Ford”
Page 17 & 18 (used by permission to promote our
club and hobby):
Cronk Transmissions

This transmission was produced by E.D. &
A.F. Cronk, Inc. of Utica, New York. The Cronk
transmission was a “sliding gear” transmission offering
three forward speeds and one reverse speed.
The low gear ratio was lower than the standard
Ford low speed, the high gear was the same as the
standard Ford gear ratio, and second gear was an
intermediate ratio halfway between high
and low.

Cronk utilized the standard Ford
multiple disk clutch and eliminated the
transmission bands and drums. The
brake was actuated by a contracting
band on a large drum externally located
at the rear of the transmission. Cronk
advertised this feature as eliminating
any lint or cotton strands from worn
band linings clogging the oiling system;
in addition, when it was necessary to
replace the brake band lining, the transmission
cover did not have to be
removed.

Another advantage of the Cronk unit
was that the transmission cover was
fitted for the installation of the standard
Ford starter motor, allowing owners of
the earlier non-starter models to convert
their vehicles to electric starters.
The Cronk transmission was later called
the Cronk Simplex, and then - Simplex.
Cronk also produced a marine conversion
unit for the Model T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Shifting a non-synchronized transmission can be a daunting task at first. Double-clutching is an acquired skill, but the learning curve isn't long. After a couple of months with my '35 Chevy Standard (EC) coupe, I didn't even think about it. I could shift it just about as rapidly as I could the synchronized three-speed in my '64 Plymouth Valiant. BTW: Both were excellent cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Cool Cronk!
Can't wait till it's up and moving to hear about how it is to use! Yeah, you'll get the shifting down pretty easy. :-)
Nice pics of your toys Jim! Cool stuff!
Oh!... If you need a front rim and "tire" like the rears on your TT, gimme a holler. I have one like that with that style of mounting (8 bolt mount as opposed to 6 on your rears tho) on a steel fello.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Thanks Hap and all who responded a lot of info i didnot know
And yes Hap it has a Twin HI -LO in the driveline.
I should have said had because I took it out and installed it
In my TT tow truck and it could go 45 mph if it had enough
Power it runs good but it's tired like me
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

Jim,

We aren't tired, we are just conserving energy for when we really need it.

One more photo of the transmission from your Flickr account that I missed when I posted them last time.

It clearly shows the external brake shoe that is used to stop the truck since the internal brake drum was removed. While it is wider than the Ford transmission brake, it sure looks small for a loaded Ton Truck. As you start getting things running please let us know how that brake works compared to the T brake.

You probably already know the following, but someone else new to the straight cut gears in the transmission may not know this trick. In some cases you can reverse or flip over a single straight cut gear and now the worn teeth are not engaging when you are have the power on and the transmission is a little quieter. And on our Model A 3 speeds, the shafts and bearings wear and cause the gears to no longer mesh properly. That can cause additional noise and even cause the car to slip out of gear in 2nd (3rd is a straight drive without any gear reduction). Replacing the shafts & bearings lines up the gears and if the gears were not worn excessively -- the transmission works well and is much quieter than before. While you probably won't be able to order new shafts for it, the bearings or bearings the same size are hopefully still available. Depending on how much wear on the shafts -- you may be able to have them built up with chrome or spray welded etc.

Again, good luck with your TT.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Hap once again thanks for the info and moving the pic's to
The forum.
Duey thanks for the offer on the tire I did find a pair of 30x3.5
Solid tires for the front just haven't put them on yet.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Cool! Cannot wait to see them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Interesting how the countershaft (cluster) is positioned above the input shaft. Does it require alteration of the floorboard? Looks like it would.

Or, on second thought is the top set of gears the functional equivalent of a conventional cluster? If so since that top shaft extends out for the brake drum wouldn't you have the same risk of losing the brakes (like an old style Warford) if you missed a shift and got stuck in neutral? Unless of course that rearmost gear is not in unit with the rest of that top gearset but rather engages a corresponding gear on the output shaft.

Please include more pictures after dissassembly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration