Mounting Tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mounting Tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Hi Gang!

Happy belated Thanksgiving! Hope you ALL had a marvelous time with family and friends. I know I did.

Spent yesterday mounting two 21 inch tires for Thanksgiving excitement (plus my son was here to help). Had no sun to warm them so it was a job! I have a rim spreader but had never used one.

My only previous experience mounting a split rim was on a hot day, in the sun, with Larry Fairchild who had a T tire tool box. We laid the parts in the grass with a pan of very soapy water to grease things up and it actually went on pretty smoothly. Larry doesn’t have a rim spreader so we “man-handled” the tires onto the rim. Don’t remember how we got the rim to spread so we could “lock” it in place.

Chapter 2: In a cold garage on a colder concrete floor with no sun and the only heat was from our fingers (which didn’t last long). The tires are new and COLD so I knew we had a challenge ahead of us.

I ended up using waterless hand cleaner as the “greasing agent” without which we would still be out there wrestling the tire onto the rim and by now, completely exhausted. We used a “bottle jack” to spread the rims placing the bottom of the jack against one lug hole and the piston against another. That is how WE spread the rims.

This morning I went looking for the correct methods and am sharing some links with the club that I have found. I know to some of you this is “old hat” and you are wondering how I could be so stupid. Hey… it takes practice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

I hope that waterless hand cleaner doesn't have an effect on the inner tube. Why didn't you use the rim spreader? You just collapse the rim and the tire and tube go right on without a lot of prying. Then reverse the tool and spread the rim and lock it. Much easier. And you even have the tool!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

I hope that waterless hand cleaner doesn't have an effect on the inner tube. Why didn't you use the rim spreader? You just collapse the rim and the tire and tube go right on without a lot of prying. Then reverse the tool and spread the rim and lock it. Much easier. And you even have the tool!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

I've been using Go Jo to mount tires for many years. It makes tires go one easily while keeping your hands cleaner. That's about it, did you think the lanolin would have damaging effects to the tires Norman?

Here's a good link to show how. Scroll down until you see the guy on a milk stool:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/256320.html?1325091009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

I tried using the rim spreader but am apparently not smart enough to do so. I went back yesterday to fuss with it on a rim that had no tire on it (after looking around here for proper use instructions.)

Makes me think my rim spreader is too short when fully extended (which barely got the split apart).

What did I do wrong? Is there more than one rim spreader size?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

John,

Does this link help?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/37596.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

I've always used corn starch powder (because breathing in talcum powder is unhealthy). _Liquids like dish detergent and GoJo are awfully messy, but hey, if you like to play dirty, have at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Dave,

I like the turnbuckle idea. Very "positive" control of the rim. I actually used a small one with a small piece of chain to compress the rim but what I had would not have spread the rim.

Needed to go to town today anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Hi John,

This may be helpful for the next time:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration