Model t Larger KW coils as compared to smaller later coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model t Larger KW coils as compared to smaller later coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

I have found out today about the coils for my 1911 are too large to fit in any of the testers that a friend of mine owns (a hand crank unit, ECCT and strobe-spark). Will I need to make adaptors in order to test these? Perhaps there is another method?

Thanks for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 04:52 am:

Paul ; For the bigger coils I made a bigger box, and connect them to my HCCT.
1898N
1899N
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:17 am:

RV Anderson specializes in rebuilding earlier coils. You might consider sending them to him. He does nice work and is quick and reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:21 am:

The coil you show is for a 1913, not a 1911! Yes, you must make a new box to test them with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Paul-
You can take the 1913 coil cox off the car and set it on the bench next to the coil checker. Put all the coils in it, and use the coilbox for contacts. Then just run some alligator clips from the end of the terminals on the porcelain tubes to the contacts on the HCCT. Then just switch the alligator clips from coil to coil. If you clip the input on the Mag side, and then to the Bat side, you can make sure the switch is working properly, too.

Been there, done that.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Thank you for the tips, I will get right on it. I had the car out today and I believe they are skipping a beat!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration