Horsepower estimate ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Horsepower estimate ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Knowing that a stock Model T put out 20hp, what would your estimations be with the following specs ?

Block cast January 1925.
"Scat" standard spec, counterweighted, chromoly, forged, crankshaft.
"Egge" aluminium pistons +.020" over bore.
Matched, balanced and ring tested connecting rods.
Big-end oil dippers.
"Chaffin's" .280" high lift computer designed camshaft.
Solid Billet timing gear.
High-er compression "Waukesha Ricardo" cylinder head, -.062".
1.5" "Chev" small block V8 valves.
High Volume outside oil line.
Automatic mechanical advance distributor.
High volume, +60%, aluminium intake manifold.
Stan Howe rebuilt "Stromberg" OF, carburettor.
Model "A" Ford exhaust manifold.
100% Kevlar transmission band linings.
"GM" Turbo Hydro 400 clutch 9 disc set.
Balanced flywheel.
Magneto plate and magnets removed and replaced with transmission oil slinger set & oil screen.
Sealed, ball, 4th main bearing, ball cap.

I don't really need to know, its the specs of my as yet unstarted Speedster engine. But I've been asked so many times I'd like to be able to give at least an educated approximate answer.

Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Many of the items you mention will not increase the power, they may make it more reliable and last longer but no increase in power

I would guess the following
0.02" bore increase will increase volume by about 1% with corresponding increase in power
Chaffin 280 cam, 10% increase in lift, corresponding increase in power
Hi volume intake, 2hp per Glen Chaffin
OF carb, 10% increase ( open to discussion)
Model A manifold, similar to dual Chaffin which gives 3hp

If we add the percentage to 21%, gives 25 over standard plus the 5hp totals 30hp.
This is probably correct +\- 10%.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

It has often be stated that a non-T carb gives the biggest increase in power.
That, the compression increase and the cam I would tend to think would. Easily double the horse power of the otherwise super detuned T engine.
I'd guess 35 fo 40 H.P. But at a much higher RPM than the RPMs of the original rating.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration