Sorta OT Rustoleum spray primer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sorta OT Rustoleum spray primer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Have any of you used this product? Does it do a good job? Any compatability problems with other primers/paint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

I'm not sure If this is the answer you are looking for but I had my old trailer sandblasted a couple years ago. I primed it with a white Rustoleum primer for clean metal. I had intended to use Rustoleum red oxide but the instructions on the red oxide said it was for rusty metal. I'd had good luck with the red oxide before but had never used white. The top coat I used on the trailer was Rustoleum Red Enamel. It has held up pretty well. I have chipped the red paint a few places but the white primer stuck.
Verne Shirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

I read your title again and you said "spray". I brushed my trailer. I've used spray red oxide Rustoleum under sprayed appliance epoxy before with good results. Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:18 am:

I've used the Rustoleum gray primer with no trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:58 am:

Jack its a good primer, there was a problem with the cans blocking up halfway through...I have a few cans that this happened to. Not long ago someone on this forum addressed this problem directly to Rustoleum, and actually got an answer back. They acknowledged the problem, and vowed to try to fix it. The power of this forum is strong. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 04:11 am:

I don't know about now, but the red Rustoleum primer used to not be sandable. The grey was. My plan was to build up a few coats in alternating colors so you knew how deep you were sanding, but the red primer loaded up the paper BAD. Closer look at the can said it was non sandable. It may not still be that way, but check to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 07:08 am:

Will do. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I too have used rustoleum red primer with no issue's on small parts and painted them 25 years, no problems yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:51 am:

The biggest problem with the rustoleum primer is the stupid spray nozzle plugging up when you try to use it the next day or beyond if there's any left in the can. I've thrown away more half full cans because they just plain "quit" it isn't funny. Ticks ya off! Other than that, an okay product. They claim to have addressed, or will address that issue so I've heard, but haven't had to use any so I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I prefer the dark gray sandable primer over the light gray. I use it all the time for small stuff. I agree on the new nozzles. You must invert the can after use to clear the nozzle and pickup pipe. The last can I got that wouldn't work I returned to home depot, and they gave me another can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Larry, did the inversion thing many a time, no difference. Bet I sprayed it upside down for 15-20 seconds which should've been more than enough and the next day it still wouldn't spray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:57 am:

There are at least two formulations of 'red' Rustoleum primer. In rattlecans, 280714 is "Red Primer"; formulation #7769 is "Rusty Metal Primer". The advantages of each are spelled out on the containers, but for me, the adhesion to prepped rusty metal trumps all other considerations. Wallymart locally only offers the "red", farm supply stores have the rusty metal stuff. I have no stock in either Wallmart or Rustoleum. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 11:02 am:

I've had good luck lately with the tips not clogging. I've used a lot in the last year. Before that it was a nightmare. I can't remember the last time one clogged. There are 2 kinds of Rustoleum gray sandable primer. One says "automotive" the other doesn't. I think they carve an extra dollar to print automotive on the can so I go to the regular paint aisle. That Rustoleum Heavily Rusted Metal red primer says remove loose rust and paint, or something like that, but it's no miracle worker like it says. I wire brushed the top of the cab on my 73 International pickup, solid rust. I brushed on a lot of it and it still rusted right through but maybe I should have topcoated it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

I pretty much use the "rusty metal red primer" for just about everything. I find it works and sticks very well when the surface is clean and dry. I use it on the inside of engines also, but only ones that have been through a "bake and blast" type cleaner where I know all the grease and residue are gone. It is bar none my favorite rattle can primer---barring the times the nozzle has stuck and did not spray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

A Rustoleum reply to clogging problems after previous use was inadequate shaking of the can before reuse. I make it a point to shake longer now and so far it has worked out. Some paint cans require holding can upside down for a 3-4 second spray to clean out nozzle. Others are designed to paint in an upside down position and do not specify the upside down cleaning. Just to wipe off the nozzle. Read the after use label instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:22 am:

After inverting the can after use, I take a clean rag with lacquer thinner on it and wipe the spray tip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I agree with Tim, the product is fine, the spray nozzles are not. If using Rustoleum primer, I would do some planning and set up everything that needed primer to do all at once. I would not count on the spray can working the next day. I have turned the cans upside down to clear the nozzle and then wiped it with thinner; about 1/3 of the time the cans still clog. Typically I use Krylon for the finish color because their cans don't clog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

It's a PITB, but when I use a partial can I pop the nozzle off, soak it in lacquer thinner then blow it clear with compressed air or brake cleaner. Works most of the time if you do it before the paint sets up in the nozzle.
Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

I've done that as well. I've also kept nozzles off empty cans to use when others clog too bad to be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

They have a rattle can that is paint and primer and I really like it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration