Slow leaking tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Slow leaking tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

I had both front tires and tubes off my '21 Touring on Thanksgiving day.I cut the rubber stems out of the new tubes and installed brass stems. I put a patch , actually another patch on the right one where the local tire store pinched the tube while trying to repair it. Checking the pressures 48 hours later shows both have lost 20-25 lbs. I find it hard to imagine how a leak could be that slow.I'm guessing that in another 48 hours both will be flat again. I sure would like to get done with these tires and move on to another part of my restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

This is an issue that I'm investigating now. It appears the problem with new tubes dropping pressure is due to the lack of Butyl in the rubber compound. Our club members all have issues with the modern tubes that drop pressure even though they are installed correctly. Changing valves, adding metal valve caps make no difference and in my opinion it it the rubber compound allowing leakage through it. Forget Nitrogen as that doesn't make any difference. The issue with your leaking tubes may we'll be different as the leak is much more severe. Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

As crappy as the new tubes are today, I still only seem to lose about 2 lbs. every few Months. Tommy, i would search for a leak where you patched the new valves. Did you water test them for leaks before you installed them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 06:55 am:

I have two different styles of rubber stemmed tubes purchased in the past two years. They haven't seen the road yet. In a month one type drops from 32 psi to 18 psi and the other to 10 psi. I don't remember who it was now but somebody told me not to worry about it - that after I start driving they will leak less. Hope to find out soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Checking pressures again , I find after 68 hours, the left front has lost 15 lbs and the right front in pretty much flat, having 10 lbs still in it. Looks like I will be taking both back down, and replacing the right one with the patches on it with a new tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Before you take them down, might want to try a little Slime product. Have used in tractor tires with success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Glenn Fisher III on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:45 am:

I had a slow leak where the tread peeled off. I used bathtub silicone caulk to reattach the tread sealing the leak. I do have to change the tape every now and then. Might try a heavyweight tape next time. I think this repair is in the spirit of a T owner. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:15 am:

The new inner tubes are made from silicone rubber. Patches don't stick well. If they get cut you have to replace the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Some of the valves than go in the stems don't seal very well. It is an easy fix. Try replacing them before taking drastic action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:21 am:

I have no experience with slime but do know about leaking tubes. I bought a cart for my torch tanks a year ago and like the wheelbarrow in the back yard, everytime I move it, I need the air tank to pump them up. Flat within 30 days. Might pick up some slime and hit all three. To those that have used it, does slime work for this or is it more for a puncture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:37 am:

I've only used it for slow leaks. Worked great on wheelbarrow, and garden tractor tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:45 am:

For what it's worth.....I've used slime in lawn tractor tires (tubeless), and bicycle tires (tubes), with great success.

I suspect that it would work equally well in automobile tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Absolutely love James Glenn's patch! Reminds me of the tire patches we would see on the cartoons when we were kids. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I'd take the tire valves out and replace with new ones. Can't hurt, can only help and more often than not does fix slow leaks...well worth the try over a day or two.

I'm guessing (bad thing, I know) but have your metal stems come loose from the sleeves in all of this? I had a devil of a time chasing a leak and it turned out the shrink fit of the sleeve part of the stem wasn't! Made a small tourniquet out of wire wrapped a few times around the shank before cinch and problem solved

Did you water test your patches and stem mounting before mounting the tubes and tires? If you did and it passed the water test, you probably got a pinch when they were installed.

Overnight leak down should be almost obvious to find! Spray your valve stem with detergent and see where and how it blows bubbles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

I did not test the tubes before installing them by submersing them in water. I did as I usually do, I spit on the valves. This time I will dunk the partially inflate tubes before installing them. i do have the tools that work well, making the job a lot less difficult than it could be.[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/1127160829_zpshmzckzve.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1127160829_zpshmzckzve.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
By the way, how much air should I be able to put into a tube to test for leakage? I probably tend to not put as much as some do, I guess I overdid it on a bicycle tube some time ago and it burst in my face. I almost needed a change of underwear. Now I'm cautious about not doing that again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Just inflate until it is about 4" diameter. It may not register on a gage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

James Glenn Fischer.

We used duck tape on a tire failure like you had. It worked great on some VERY rough back country roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

James Glenn Fischer.

We used duck tape on a tire failure like you had. It worked great on some VERY rough back country roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Sorry for the double post.

PC genius at work here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

I just purchased a new 30 x 3"/3 1/2" tube from Performance Plus Tire store in Long Beach for $15.! It's a really heavy duty rubber stem one.

If the tube is loosing air you have a leak... It can only be in two places. 1. A hole in the tube somewhere requires a patch. 2. A leak at the valve which maybe fixed by checking if it is screwed in tight or the seat is leaking air and needs a new valve installed.

My tires sit for many months and always hold the same amount of air. I check them before going on tours and make sure they are ar 60psi. Only needing a toping off of a few lbs about once a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

It seems to me with the size of Coker Tire Co., they should be able to get them made in USA again. They made them here until about 7 years ago. What happened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1127160829_zpshmzckzve.jpg
I , at least have what I need to work on these tires. I will take both back down and thoroughly test for leaks this time by submersing the tubes in water. I am going to make sure that I got the tubes good and smooth after I removed the rubber stems. I was thinking, I probably don't put as much air in tubes to test them as some do. I had a defective, Chinese made bicycle tube explode not long ago when I put air in it to check for leaks. Now I'm a little "gun shy".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Sorry for the double post. I thought that I only saved the last one and lost it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

I just realized that I'm no better at this PC than I am at fixing tires. Maybe I should put the T in the classifieds and find another pass-time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration