Electric starter problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Electric starter problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

I have a T starter that failed. After a little testing I determined that the stator coil was shorting to the case so I disassembled the whole thing and installed a brand new stator winding from one of the T vendors. It took some effort to get the pole pieces so they didn't touch the rotor, but I'm sure the are now correct.
It still failed, no shorts but runs very slow. So I tried a new rotor and get exactly the same results. I have checked the brush holders two are grounded the other two isolated from the case.
I am beginning to suspect the new stator coils are bad, has anyone had any bad experiences (or success) with new coils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

I had a similar problem with the starter in my swather this summer. It turned out to be corrosion around the ground brush holder rivet. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Hook a voltmeter to the starter connection as well as directly to the starter case. Then try again. You should have right about 6 volts. I've heard of enough poor battery and cable connections

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Right now the bad starter is my test fixture which has prestine cables and lots of current available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Pat may be on to something as I did notice that after the failed test, the end cover was warm.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Brushplate failures are very common in Model T starting motors. You cannot see the back side of the brushplate so the brush plate MUST be removed from the cap and carefully inspected/tested for faults. I ALWAYS remove and completely rebuild the brushpate and reinstall with copper rivets using a proper aircraft rivet gun and buck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration