24 Canadian Touring Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 24 Canadian Touring Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

I have a 24 Canadian Touring, and the top is in pretty rough shape. It is one man but has the curved bows like the older two man tops. My question: should all four bows have the same shape? One of my bows, second from the front, has more arch than the other three. That bow is in a lot better condition than the others, so I suspect it was changed at some point. Here are some pictures:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Timothy, I would expect the bows to be all the same, as they need to be when the top is folded. That said, it is understandable that the second bow may be more arched, as it carries little weight when the top is up, and the wood may tend to resume its original straight shape.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 06:35 am:

I will check mine when I get home but I believe they are the same shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Thank you for the information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Checked mine. All look the same as Allan mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Timothy,

Would you please take some additional photos and some measurements?

Ford of Canada had several different versions of the one man top used from 1920 to 1927. Note the USA cars did not introduce them until the 1923 year model.

I didn't realize that the Canadian bows were still using the bent wooden bows rather than the USA style rectangular bows that were introduced in 1918 in the two-man tops and continued into 1923 when they introduced the one man style tops and continued to 1927.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Hap,

I will try to post some more pictures. The inside dimension of the bows is 52". The top is in pretty rough shape, so I am trying to figure out what it is supposed to look like.

Different subject, are you in the SC Model T club? I am but haven't made it to many meetings yet.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Tim,

Thanks. If you can post or send (the will be higher resolution) that should help. You can click on my name and it brings up my profile. My e-mail is the 3rd line down. If yo sent me the higher resolution photos, I'll gladly resize them so they will post and put them up. Will work for Model T photos.....

Yes, I a member of the SC club -- but I'm a wayward member..... I pay my dues and when the meetings were in Sumter, I tried to make them. But it has been a while since one was hosted here. I keep trying to get ahead on the save for retirement, pay off the house etc., and figure out where and when we want to retire etc. We actually are planning to spend a week or so in Richmond IN one of these winters so we can see if my "southern body" can still function OK in the cold.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Hap,

I placed all my pictures of the top here: https://goo.gl/photos/Cwd3guySARqcqYoz5

If this does not work, let me know and I will try something else.

Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration