Oil pan secure question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil pan secure question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:30 am:

I am ready put my motor back into my T and I was told not use the engine oil pan wood and secure bolts to secure the oil pan to the frame. I was told to use a longer bolt to secure the oil pan ears to the frame with a radiator mounting spring only, with the nut and spring on the bottom so the motor can flex and move around if necessary. Seems to me the frame is so flimsy without the oil pan ears securing the motor that it would cause even more problems than securing everything properly like Henry intended. Any ideas? Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:47 am:

I was told by an engine expert to use the wood behind the ears, if not, you're courting cracked ears. And don't tighten the castle nuts super tight, let the frame flex around the bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Personally, I would use the wood blocks. The motor can have solid bolting to the frame and front crossmember and the whole works can flex. A nut and spring setup just sounds like to much flexing. My '26/'27 has straps from the hogshead to the frame in addition to the wood block arrangement. I agree with you and think it would cause more problems. Best of luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Tim,

I tried putting wood behind my ears but then my hat doesn't fit!

I used wood as Ford did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Pan blocks, yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

My car had no wood blocks between the mounts and frame when I got it. The new engine had not been started and ran. Still hasn't. It also was missing the wood block at the steering column mount on the frame. I have ordered them all. Since I don't know, until they arrive, what they look like, I would like to see pictures of how they fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

One of my cars was lacking the block behind the steering mount on the frame, kept making a funny noise going down the road. Put a block in, and voila!, noise gone. They are there for a reason. Dennis, I love your humor! Wish I had that kind of wit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Use the frame blocks.

Ford Service, Chapter 11, Para. 100. Photo of install and instructions there.

Without the support of the wood block, frame twists, engine rocks, and pan ear factures over time.

Non-Ford writings of how the powerplant is mounted in the frame, and the 3-point fastenings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Wood Blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Mine had the wood blocks but also some hard material plates under the ears on the top of the frame. I replaced these with road kill rubber. That is what you find on the road when the armadillos win the confrontation.
Many vehicles throw a tread on the highway. Mostly recaps. This is useful for many things and a piece of recap tire was cut to fit and the through bolts hold them in place. It should provide some damping effect though I doubt anyone would notice the difference in a T

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration