Is this head gasket any good?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is this head gasket any good?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I have an older head gasket that is two layers of copper with what looks like asbestos in the middle. It is made in England. Is it any good for use or should I buy a new one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

That may be a better gasket than you can buy today. Look it over for kinks, etc. I would use it without hesitation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Absolutely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Ill agree, look it over as Jim said, and use it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

And, I might do this, subject to looking it over. Again, might. An overnight soak in what starts out, at least, HOT water. I have rejuvenated many used headgaskets,and the good old copper clad inlet and outlet gaskets. In fact now that I think of it, I used to boil them in an old beat up roasting pan. They swell up a measurable amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Just make sure you get it on correctly...the wide water passage goes to the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Thanks for the feedback. I hear of old repro parts that were not so good so I wanted to check on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

That's bad stuff in there. you can send that directly to me! Spray it with a good coat of Copper Coat on both sides then just start all the bolts so you have the gasket positioned good.

Martin has a good suggestion don't put it on backwards....

I agree with Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Ah heck the gasket on my car (knock on wood) came off a different engine and I have driven the car on a number of tours and just general driving. The important thing is to re torque the head and use good sealer. On stock engines I have used copper coat on one side and grease on the block side, grease on both sides and copper coat on both in the past on head gaskets. :-) Torque to about 45 FP, any more there is the chance in pulling threads in block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

My grandpa used to boil his old used head gaskets and then freeze them. He always said "poor boys" have "poor ways"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Donnie, I love that!! The exact same thing was told to me by one of my T mentors around 1980.Brings back memories of a pleasant time getting to know people from the greatest generation that I was not related to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

While I got to know these guys from the greatest generation, I also got to bury them. In a 12 month period in 95-96,i was a pall bearer no fewer than six times.And that is just where I helped put them in the ground,not the total number of friends I lost.AND,as unbelievable as it sounds now, I also buried a couple of their FATHERS. WW1 veterans in their mid-late 90's and one over 100.Including a Belleau Wood Marine. Heart rending beyond description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

I would use it on my car. Thankfully I don't need it TODAY... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Is there apart number or manufacturer's name on it ? I took one off our '19 Centerdoor that has rather large intake valves and a stock gasket interfered with the valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Forgot to add - it had "Made in England" on it also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

My grandfather has always sworn that the NOS head gaskets are better than the new repro ones; something about the asbestos making a better sandwiching material or something. I have a NOS gasket on my motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

The trick I was taught is to soak the gasket overnight in water, then the filler can "squish" more easily where it needs too. In spite of machining the surfaces "flat" there are still irregularities.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration